First newsletter in 9 months

Keep up with the latest Bscotchappenings!
I meet all requirements on the creator beta BUT Chrome, which I don't care for. :(

It would just be for the creator so personally I think it'd be worth it :)

@Frog_Ninja You don't need chrome, it's just work best in it. It's likely that it'll work just fine in other browsers as well, with the possible exception of Internet Explorer.

In my first edit of the post I said nearly the same thing, but I didn't want to be a jerk to poor IE. If you don't mind me asking Adam, why does it work best in chrome? I figured if it's browser based it would run on any browser (minus a mini one), but why push chrome (Personally I use chrome and love it, but just asking for those who don't/my own curiosity)? Is there just something that fundamentally different that makes it handle it better?

Each browser has a slightly different interpretation and rate of adoption of web standards, but they are pretty close for the most part (except for IE). Chrome tends to be at the very forefront. Anyway, it's possible that the Creator will end up relying on a new standard that isn't yet widespread, or on a quirk of Chrome's interpretation of a widespread standard.

The reason professional websites work well on any old browser is that the devs put in a ton of time coding around all the browser-specific quirks. For most browsers there aren't that many that have to be dealt with, and it's much more of a problem the more the site relies on things like really precise structure or new web technologies. For IE alone this typically adds 30%+ to development time, and that's for experts in the process!

I can't even tell you how angry I am about how much development time has been wasted on IE's refusal to follow web standards. Just think about it: around 30% of all development time to create the Internet as you know it was WASTED ON IE! There could be 30% more internet!

So anyway. Most companies building websites have an explicit need to have those sites be totally functional for absolutely anyone that comes to them, because there isn't a chance in hell that someone would switch browsers just to view some random website. But we're in a different position with the Creator, because we don't need anyone to use it! It's a gift for our players. So the incentive is the other way around -- if people need a different browser to use something they really want to use, they'll do it ;)

Which is a long way of saying: For what we're doing it's a waste of dev time to tweak complex web apps so that they work in every major browser. I'd rather spend that dev time making the next web app, or learning more web tech. So I try to make things web standards-compliant, and make sure it works as intended for one freely available, cross-platform, highly adopted browser (in this case Chrome).

30% more?! Damn it IE! But okay that makes a lot of sense. It's not a product you are trying to sell it's a gift you are trying to give and those who want it will take it and use it . With that being said (Also thanks for that it really put the thing into perspective) I am curious to know how many users are going to use the creator. I mean I don't think it's possible that every person is going to use it, but I am just curious to know what the rate is going to be. Taking into account the children who play and those who have no interest in creating.

No idea! We'll likely keep high requirements in place forever (for the Beta, it's 10+ hours of gameplay plus having gotten to the Bawg) because the Creator is never going to be simple to use and users need to deeply understand the mechanics of the game. The Creator is essentially a high-level programming tool.

Here's my guess:
* Most people will not use the creator ever, but most people will browse other player-made creations.
* Of those players who do use the creator, the vast majority will create very small and incomplete things that only they and a few friends will end up playing, and those people will then abandon the Creator.
* Another sizeable fraction will be people who constantly tinker with a handful of Creations, but don't make any polished or popular ones. A lot of these will be kids.
* A small number of players will create truly amazing things, perhaps some that become more popular than even the official campaign!

aI have been expect that last one. With every creator type thing there is always one person who just blows it out of the water and makes something amazing. Also the requirements were not that high they're pretty feasible.

Previous

Return to Butterscotch News