Butterscotch Careers

Keep up with the latest Bscotchappenings!
Awesome to hear! I'll defiantly give it a shot. You guys got an amazing thing going (Though, I'm sure you already know that). Thanks again Sam for playing Streets of Rogue with me at GDC. It was a blast!

Looking forward to this. I've been looking for a way to work my way back into the games industry and honestly nothing I could find really felt right to me. Looking at the description for the Game Mechanic position makes me feel this job is the one for me.

I do have some concerns with the whole thing and I'd like some clarification before I get too involved into the process.

First, there is a mighty large amount of stuff expected of the game mechanic. They almost seem to be both a community manager as well as a game programmer. This is fine so long as appropriate time is given to each aspect of the job. I've worked at a place before that wanted us programmers to keep an eye on the forums but didn't want to actually let us claim that time spent as some of our weekly hours.

Second, according to the podcast you guys were thinking of doing a game jam and then letting the applicants expand on and clean up the mess from the jam. This sounds exciting but I'd like to verify that you guys are aware of the limitations of the GameMaker Free version and aren't going to suddenly expect us to be messing with an Android build which would require a considerable investment into the toolset.

Lastly, I was pretty excited about the idea of moving down to be near the studio, especially after researching the cost of living in the St Louis area. However, it's extremely daunting to think about moving my family and I into an area that seems to keep ranking really high on the "Most Dangerous Cities in the USA" lists. Having your studio based there do you have any suggestions about getting over a hurdle such as this?

Anyways, I've got forum posts to read, podcasts to listen to, GameMaker tutorials to go through, Crashlands to play, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

Two things:

The unimportant thing: as someone who actually lives in SoCal, you guys are seriously exaggerating the cost savings. You save a lot on energy bills by living in a place with no weather. The actual COL adjustment is 30%.

The important thing! The email thing here (https://id.bscotch.net/jobs/) keeps saying "Failed" every time I try to enter.

I don't think we're exaggerating... Even something as low as 30% is a very big difference. Most of the cost of living difference is taken up by housing costs, which do vary quite a bit by neighborhood, area, etc... But in general, you're going to pay a lot more for housing in Los Angeles relative to what you'd get in Saint Louis.

And usually our point of comparison is San Francisco, which is where many dev studios operate. There, the total cost of living is about 90% higher.

@Vontre the email field is FIXED. Thanks for letting us know! I was working on the actual application, which is currently hidden, and broke a shared script. Oops.

@Solsund

First: You're right, we do expect a lot of diverse stuff from the Game Mechanic. It is all absolutely considered part of the job, so there is nothing to worry about there. We expect people to work very hard during the workday, but that isn't to accomplish impossible deadlines. It will be to progress as far as you can along your prioritized responsibilities within the normal ~8hr workday.

Second: We're aware of the Free version limitations and we won't ask anything that can't be done within it!

Third: My wife and I are moving to StL shortly as well, and of course have the same sorts of concerns. Like any urban area, but even more so than many, St Louis is a clump of small cities and neighborhoods, and St Louis proper scores poorly on a ton of metrics. Surrounding cities (which is where most people live and work, and where we live and work) can be just as safe as anywhere else. I don't have any resources on hand for specific information, but if you look for lists of the the cities making up StL and look for stats for those you'll get a more accurate sense of what the place is like. @bscotchsam could probably speak more to this.

Personally, I think that the position requirements seem perfectly in line with how studios should operate. Also, it even says in the description that as long as progress is made towards your milestones, you'll be fine. If your job description is staying on top of requests/ideas in the forums, why would you not be able to claim that time?

Just to tack on to what Adam said, and respond to @Solsund's general VIBEY VIBE... You're definitely correct!

But more importantly, our whole studio ethos revolves around the trust that everyone is all-in, we all care, and we're all doing everything we can to help move the studio forward (while still taking the time to take care of our lives outside of work). Sometimes that means taking time to collect bug reports from the forums or other sources, or organizing and advertising a beta test for an upcoming patch. Even if that means not writing a single line of code for a while, so long as it's moving things along, that's what matters.

Do you guys have any plans for future positions regarding the non-code related aspects of things. Ie: PR, organization for beta, getting of the bug reports, etc... I feel like this is on the mind of a lot of other people including myself.

@Solsund regarding STL and crime stuff -

Living here versus seeing news about the city is honestly one of the weirder things I've experienced. We do a ton of activities along the whole breadth of the city, from Downtown all the way out to a few of the surrounding areas. I remember after the Ferguson stuff last summer that a few older family members from back in Iowa were texting, asking if we were okay, saying the city looked like a warzone, etc. Truth is, if we hadn't heard about it on the news we actually would've had 0 idea that something so intense was going down 20 minutes away.

There are worse parts of town to hang out in, for sure, but there are plenty of areas for family living and general safety such that you feel at home and connected minus the fear of violence. We live in University City, which is pretty dang lovely. And there are tons of neighborhoods that have their own vibes.

Long story short, been here for 7 years, learned the lay of the land a bit, and quite enjoy the life here, feeling safe and such. However! As we mentioned, we lifted the required move to STL for the job anywho, so if you have a great place you're staying with a community you've already built up you can just stay put!

TL;DR general crime statistics fail to capture the realities of living in STL for average person.

@Mr.Jpesky We have that covered for now! But, importantly, everyone we ever hire will be expected to be able to do some programming. Modern PR and community management requires decent knowledge of web technologies, though it doesn't necessarily require building a webapp from scratch.

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch News