Butterscotch Careers

Keep up with the latest Bscotchappenings!
I would just like to say this is probably the most inspiring company culture document I have read. It is harder for me to be any more excited about applying, but you guys managed to do it.

Questions I have.

Are there any Metrolink stops close to the studio?

To clarify-Is the coding portion to test more to show how you prioritize AND what your existing skillset is, or is it more to show how you prioritize THAN what your existing skillset is?

We're in the midst of shuffling around studio locations, but IN THEORY you should at least be able to get to pretty easy walking distance of the studio by metrolink.

The coding portion is to show a few things:

1. What is your current skill set?
2. How well do you understand your current skill set, so that you can perform what we like to refer to as "judo" -- get the biggest impact with the least amount of effort?
3. How good is your design sense?

All in all, it's a test of whether you can, without any direction, take an existing game and quickly and efficiently improve it.

Well, to be fair, the most impact with the less effort is a well-practiced aikido.
Any martial art ought to do it but this one is the most versatile and consists in using the other's strength against him/her.

Also, would it be possible to see the source after you hire your Game Mechanic? If there's no supa-secret Butterscotchy stuff in it.

Haven't thought about it, but MAYBE!

Another curiosity question, you guys haven't really mentioned it. Are you guys planning on doing interviews after the practical test? I'm guessing you will, since it'd be kind of hard to just hope people's personalities are good and such.

Yup!

Applied! SUPER excited for this position, and downloading Gamemaker now. Will be fun to learn a new engine after almost 4 years in Unity.

(Also been doing aikido for about 4 years, so can attest that it's the best analogy for quick and efficient game design. It's all about keeping yourself stable and calm while the opponent wears themselves out. Plus, RAD FLIPS.)

As they say, "Where there are rad flips, there are rad other things, too."

@hi_im_vy Just to save you some time... if you want to check if something is null.... check if it's equal to noone.

For example
if(foo == null)
would be
if(foo == noone)

I've only messed with game maker for a weekend, but it took me forever to find that snippet of knowledge. (Seriously, a few hours of searching before I caught it.)

EDIT:
(That said, I jumped in without any knowledge and didn't do any tutorials)

The link to view the NDA in the registration email is returning a 404 error.

The 404 is also very unsassy :(

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch News