Butterscotch Careers

Keep up with the latest Bscotchappenings!
How long do you expect to have the first stage of applications open? Is there a minimum window?

Each stage will stay open so long as the application process is still ongoing. Since we're opening the application as we develop it, we'll have a decent sized group of super-active applicants that all move through together. But we expect a good trickle of new applicants throughout.

We may close applications early once we get a few strong candidates all the way to the end, so that we don't waste ours or other applicants' time. In that case we'll email any applicants who are still in the pool but haven't made it to the end, and give them a deadline.

We still have a fair bit of work to do on the application. I'm still building the review side of the process, and Seth and Sam are finishing up the Job Jam game. My rough guess is that we'll activate the next part and start reviewing applications early next week, so that we'll have a respectable stack of resumes and cover letters accumulated over the weekend. An additional rough guess is that we'll allow new applicants to onboard for about 2 weeks (unlikely less, possibly more).

Awesome! I just started working on the application, and are there plans to have a "save" feature so that we can work on a section, save the progress, and then come back to it? If not, it is completely understandable because putting out job applications isn't done every day, and I have no idea what kind of overhead is involved with saving and loading forms.

It makes me very sad, but I won't be applying.

The job description looks perfect for me: all my skills are on point, I would enjoy all the work as described, and it's a quick 20-minute bike commute to U. City for me. I was super pumped to read the job description when you posted it. But there is one detail that is unfortunately deal-breaking.

I wish I could work with you guys, I'm sure I would enjoy it and could do good stuff, but I just can't make it happen. Good luck, bros, on finding the right person, and good luck to the applicants.

@racing4thefinish There is no partial saving. This isn't horrible to implement, but I'm trying to get the thing done as quickly as possible so bonus features are off the list! But you will get explicit warning in the instructions when composing in an external software would be a good move.

@flavin What's that detail, out of curiosity? You could PM me if you don't want to state it here.

I've got a few questions:

1) Since this will be on Windows only, will you allow the inclusion of other files and extensions? For example, Game Maker allows the inclusion and use of .dll files allowing for the full OOP experience by mapping the functions to script names inside of Game Maker.

2) Around what time do you expect the coding challenge might start? I know it's still up in the air, but I just wanted to make sure that I could put time aside for it to get as much done as possible.

3) Have you already done the game jam and I didn't catch it or is that yet to happen?

They talked about jam game here - DEV CHAT AHHH

1) Since this will be on Windows only, will you allow the inclusion of other files and extensions? For example, Game Maker allows the inclusion and use of .dll files allowing for the full OOP experience by mapping the functions to script names inside of Game Maker.

You can do anything that will work in a Windows-export! So... go crazy.

2) Around what time do you expect the coding challenge might start? I know it's still up in the air, but I just wanted to make sure that I could put time aside for it to get as much done as possible.

The challenge will be flexible. It will open up and become available for those who have gotten there in the application process, but it will be up to each applicant to decide when to start the timer.

3) Have you already done the game jam and I didn't catch it or is that yet to happen?

The game is being made alongside our normal work, so we're about 12 hours in right now. We'll be ramping it up and focusing on it for the next couple work days to get it wrapped up and ready, but that's where it currently is!

It's going to be interesting for you guys. We're using the in-built physics engine (which is Box2D), which is something we haven't really done. We deliberately wanted to make something that had quite a lot of rough edges to it, so it'll be exciting to see what people do with this!

As kind of a follow up question... Are you guys currently using just scripting or are you also using extensions like I mentioned? (I'm totally fine if the answer is "you'll find out".)

To follow up on the time question: We want to give everyone a more-or-less equal opportunity to do the coding portion, so it'll be under a time constraint of something like 24-36 hours (still in flux) once started. You'll get more info when the time comes, but the exercise is a lot more about seeing how you prioritize changes to the game based on what it lacks and what your existing skillset is.

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch News