Let's put Google headlines translation together

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Here is my suggestion: since we have at least German, Czech and French speakers on the forums, I propose, if Bscotch Brothers agree, that we suggest some translations of the headlines right here :)

Oh... And maybe put the headlines here in English too

Roid Rage : " Evitez les astéroides ! Crashez-vous toujours plus... Préparez-vous à rager. "

(the second part is so poorly auto-translated I don't even get what you meant in English... Translated back: "Dodge asteroids! Crash even more... Be prepared to rage")

Towelfight 2 : " Réglez un conflit entre dieux en tirant des animaux avec votre face ! "

("Terminate a conflict between gods by shooting animals with your face!"
The idea of face/visage does not work well in French so you may replace by 'monocle', because it's the base game concept and your formula does not work in French "Réglez un conflit entre dieux en tirant des animaux avec votre (super) monocle ! ")

Quadropus Rampage : "Mélange parfait entre un roguelike et un brawler. Tentaclaquez vos ennemis !"

("Perfect mix between a roguelike and a brawler. Tentacle-slap your enemies!"
Here 'Tentaclaquez' is a portemanteau word I invented with tentacule and claque (tentacle and slap) that would mean "slap with your tentacle" I guess.
You could also replace by "Tentaculez" (which is also a creation of my own) that would mean "use your tentacles [to do something]" and could make people bug because "enculer" is a vulgar verb that means "fuck in the arse" or "sodomize"... Well I'm ashamed of myself.)

Flop Rocket : " Améliorez une fusée et tirez des canards spatiaux sur votre route vers l'ESPACE! "

( "Upgrade your rocket and shoot spaceducks on your way to SPACE!"

@Ulnarevern That is FANTASTIC! Thanks for the clear explanations of why some of the things don't translate. Our dialog and game descriptions are already stretching the sensible boundaries of English, so it's no surprise that they can't easily translate into entirely different languages!

@BscotchAdam Yeah I already noticed when I tried to translate your texts with the "Let's play What is that" for Crashlands (for fun and checking viability of a translation). :)
I may still have the file by the way.

Also I believe that it is one of the best way to translate your tricky sentences: figuring out how to keep a similar meaning with an adaptation and explaining it so you understand the reasons and you can also correct/give other possibilities :)

Well now I want to start a band called Tentaclaquez.

Thanks for getting this started, @Ulnarevern. Gonna be massively helpful!

@Bscotchsam Always happy to help :) And I'M THE #1 FAN OF Tentaclaquez!

So here come the german translations:

Roid Rage: Weiche Asteroiden aus… oder stürze immer und immer wieder ab

(Dodge asteroids... or crash again and again)

Quadropus: 1.Die perfekte Mischung aus Roguelike und Brawler. Vernichte den Meeresgott … Pete!

(Perfect Mix between a roguelike and a brawler. Destroy the god of the sea ...
Pete!

2. Die perfekte Mischung aus Roguelike und Brawler. Schlage deine Feinde mit
deinen Tentakeln!

(Don't really think there is a way to say anything like tentacle-slap in german ...This would simply mean: Beat your enemies with your tentacles! ... that doesn't sound spectacular either

Towelfight: Gerate in einen Krieg der Götter und verteidige dich mit einem magischen Monokel!

Get mixed up in a war of gods and protect yourself with a magic monocle

This is great!

How well do the store descriptions Google-translate? It looks like we have to either supply translated versions of all fields or none of them, so I can just put the auto-translated stuff in there if it isn't too terrible (I'll spend some time tweaking the English and then translating back and forth until I get roughly the same English back that I put in -- seemed to work for the French Flop Rocket).

There's no automatic translation for the stuff under it. If you like I may translate it in French too. Yet wouldn't it be risky that anglophobic people see everything in French and go crazy because the game is in English?

Yep, that is risky! We'll have to think on this problem...

Next

Return to Butterscotch General Chat