[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - Dealing with harassment and misbehavior

Dealing with harassment and misbehavior

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Sure that's probably WAY easier :)
But it would either need to build an automated system that could cause some problems (it's also a lot of work)
And/or to put some trustworthy Moderators to take care of the forums with the brothers (I guess that all the regulars here could do the job if needed/requested). But it needs people too.

Yet I think that even if it seems pretty useless or too hard to set up for the good it may bring (it is indeed), Bscotch Brothers asked for some ideas, so I put those ideas here as they asked/offered. Plus, just look at the wonders they're able to build... They could do it ^^

Anyway, may we know what the brothers are thinking of?
They haven't talked about it :)

So far things are working well, though as things really grow with BscotchID we'll have to come up with an automated system like you guys are talking about in order to try to head things off at the pass.

I still think the best option would be to upgrade the reporting system, and have it moderated by humans. Any sort of automated report/ban system is bound to be abused/misused. But then in the same vein depending on who you have moderating, and how it's done, there's bound to be someone that starts a riot over being punished.

In the end it comes down to what you guys feel is best and fairest. This is YOUR community, and you know that most of us play by the rules - it's what to do with the minority of trolls and spammers that will inevitably come in flocks that will be the ones that will need this. The rest of us, those who are genuinely interested in making this a COMMUNITY based on our mutual love of what you love to do, we'll back you. No matter what.

That's why we love the shit out of you guys.

Seth. Voting systems are excellent. See - Reddit, Battle.net forums. B.net forums actually hide the post once it gets enough downvotes.
I also enjoy rating systems. Ratings are values under each posters name (let's say 1-5 butterscotch candies). Users can rate each contributor and if someone is particularly awesome/helpful and gets 5 butterscotches consistently they maybe get a special portrait or different colored text or something cool. If someone consistently gets low ratings then their posts are dull and the color is faded/the text is smaller/they can't use emojis or post web links. Also you should automate the reporting from this system. So if someones constantly getting voted down or rated poorly, your forum admin gets a weekly email with their username and 5 lowest ranked posts listed.

Very good point!

Those are pretty good ideads :)
From what I understood, the BS Bros don't like downvotes though ^^

I think the forum will change a lot once Crashlands is released, so it'll be a good time to add a lot of good stuff :D

The forum will get crazy busy. We might have to embed more chats :mrgreen:

Yeah, I tend to agree with the value of such a system. The problem with a "downvote" is the same as the problem of a general "comments" section: it doesn't actually tell the participant what's expected of them, so its use turns nefarious. So on reddit, people use downvote to say "I HATE THIS" and in Google Play comments people report bugs, complain about pricing/ads, or just call a game "shit" without giving details.

So the concept of downvoting something can be find so long as it has a clear purpose. For example, in the Crashlands Creations browser you'll be able to leave comments on other players' Creations, but you'll have to specify what type of comment it is. Your only options are "Praise", "Suggestion", and "Report", where that last one is for reporting DBaJ violations. Comments themselves can be rated as either agree/disagree/DBaJ violation because in that context it makes sense.

Doing something similar for the forums would be a good move, but definitely require hacking, so it'll have to be on the backburner!

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch General Chat