General Chat

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Just a thread for any thoughts/questions that don't fit in any existing threads and are not worth creating a new topic

So how was GDC?

It was GREAT and super exhausting. Coupled with the Flop Rocket iTunes feature we learned a lot (and screwed up in some interesting ways). We'll probably put together a blog post soon to talk about how the near future of Crashlands and the studio have been affected by all that stuff.

What Adam said - PLUS:

It was really neat to actually meet a lot of the people we've been interacting with in a faceless way. Everyone was considerably cooler in person than I think we anticipated, from distributors to other indies.

The talks were medium, but we got a few good things out of them. The biggest one y'all will see in Crashlands is the use of the camera. Adam and Seth went to a talk about the history of the camera in 2d sidescrollers and suddenly had this OH CRAP WE HAVEN'T EVEN USED THAT IN CRASHLANDS moment. Seth has already got some basic stuff in there that makes it feel way more awesome, and like you're living in the world rather than the center of it. Pretty neat.

Other than that, a lot of the talks on the mobile marketplace reinforced our notion that we need to go platform agnostic to stay alive in the future. When we started Butterscotch about 2 years ago there were 100ish games coming out every day on iOS. Now there are over 500. That's 3500 per week we're competing with. And what's more, most users have now been trained to not pay for stuff because of all the free-to-play craze, so things are a bit dicey. Getting Flop Rocket featured was even more of a beautiful surprise once we learned that little tidbit.

We spent most of the days in talks or meetings, trying to get a handle on where the industry is going and how we can adapt and thrive in it. I think we're getting close to a really powerful and sustainable model, and the community here is a big part of that. It became evident in talking to other indies and the distributors that developing real, human relationships with y'all is just the best thing we can do.

IF we were an actual brick and mortar shop, for example, we'd sell our games face-to-face, and we could easily build a community there. While digital distribution drives the cost of getting the game to a player down and makes it easier than ever, you lose a lot in the way of community. So we're doing some other drawing-board things to figure out fun ways to stay in touch and actually...matter.

The internet makes everything accessible, but in the process can strip meaning from everything.

Other than that, it's great to be back in St. Louis. Everyone likes where their home is, of course, but it was a gorgeous spring day today that let us get outside and run around. So good.

Well i can clearly see that you did good work promoting your games! I mean the members meter really got a huge boost.

I've got two questions here:

What about upcoming Windows 10 and Universal Apps? Do you think you'll use it? This could be an alternative to Steam too, plus if Game Maker guys work on it, you could release it on phone, computer AND XBox One. That could be nice.

Second question: is it possible to tweak the forums so you automatically get to the last page of conversation when you click on the topic please?

As for Windows 10 Universal Apps, we'll wait to see what that thing looks like. The idea is a good one, but we'll need to see how they implement it first!

As for the last page of conversation link, there is a TINY little image next to the "Last Post" user that takes you right to that post. It definitely needs to be more prominent. That's been on the Forums ToDo list forever (as have been a bunch of other things)...

Aaaaaah. I didn't see it. It is indeed small, even more on my phone.

The problem with universal apps for Windows relates to control schemes. We actually talked to a Microsoft guy 1.5 years ago about bringing Quadropus to Windows 8, but he said it has to work with both keyboard/mouse and touch on the same install, and seamlessly be able to switch between the two. If we add Xbox into the mix, we have a user interface nightmare! That's touch, controller, and keyboard/mouse all in one.

It's easy to code all those control schemes (for some games), but designing the look of the interface can be a nearly impossible task.

Sad. That could've been awesome. I believe you could find a scheme for Crashlands and Quadropus, but it probably wouldn't be fair to every controller. Pain in the ass of the programming apart.

Next

Return to Butterscotch General Chat