[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - General Chat

General Chat

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
I have to say, Tofos, that was some impressive apostrophe usage just then.

I'm so lame in English that I have no idea if you're joking or not :P

Watch tv shows in english with en subtitles. It helps. A lot.

I do. And read books only in English. But it's not enough, I guess. The thing is that I rarely use it. That's another reason (#2518371918) why I like this place so much! So, don't hestitate to tell me if I do something wrong.

But why? It seems so obvoious.

A lot of people are proud of their ignorance and view it as nerdy to care about things like grammar. Those people don't go very far in life, but you find them everywhere on the internet.

Oooh, this type of guys.
It reminds me of a story. Friend of mine has a dysortography. He can't spell right no matter how hard he try (spelling in polish is really tricky, there's a lot of rules and even more exceptions). In Poland you can have a certificate for dysortography so you're treated less rigorously on exams. One of the criteria is to not pass a spelling test (of course you have to know all the rules and exceptions). So on spelling test he tried to make as many mistakes as he could. But finally he made only one and didn't get the certificate :D

Wow that has to suck! That probably should be the mindset he always should use :D

I can understand though how people can get things like its/it's mixed up, especially when one is writing fast. But there is definitely a difference between people that just don't care at all and those that just happen to make some mistakes sometimes. I see myself often writing they/the or than/then false, even though I perfectly well know their difference.

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch General Chat