BS games on OUYA

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Guys! Are you going to deploy your games to OUYA?
https://www.ouya.tv/
https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/game-maker

They said (first Coffe with Bscotch?) that there is too much theese things (like OUYA, no idea how is it called), so it would took too much time.

Maybe if there's a second-generation OUYA, we'll mull that over...

Right now, the OUYA and its kin have two big problems. The first, is that they're super weak. We tried to port Quadropus to the Gamestick, for example, but the console couldn't run it. It runs on a Galaxy S3 perfectly, so that should give you some idea of just how weak these microconsoles are.

The second problem is that the OUYA in particular has branded itself as the console for people who refuse to pay for things. They throw around the word "free" like it's going out of style, and in most (if not all) of their marketing materials, they vigorously point to the fact that you can get jillions of games for free on their console. Never pay for a game again, they say! As a player, this is great (FREE STUFF!), but as a developer, this sucks.

It takes time to port games to these platforms, and it takes time to patch and maintain them. And that time costs developers money, and it also takes up time that would be spent working on other games. Chances are pretty good that it would end up being a loss in the long run (or even short run).

Hmmm... as far as I'm concerned they claim that you can TRY everything for free. But most popular games on OUYA are paid.

@tofos Exactly! The problem here is the framing. While money can be spent on games for Ouya, the marketing is all about how you don't have to spend money. Therefore players come in with that attitude and will be much more likely to just try a jillion games without ever paying than to pay for a handful of games they like.

Take the mobile market, where a few percent of players are willing to buy game content. In those markets there is a TON of free stuff so that players have come to expect it, but the marketplace itself doesn't brag about how much free stuff there is. If iTunes or Google Play, in all of their advertisements, just talked about how many games you could try for free on the their stores then the idea that games are free would be even more normalized than it already is, and players would be even less likely to buy things.

So then you have the Ouya market. Their advertising strategy is effectively: "A cheap console with lots of free games!" So only a tiny fraction of those players will be willing to buy anything.

The only reason developers can be successful on mobile is because of the ridiculously huge size of the markets. Sure, only a few percent of players will buy your games, but there are millions of those players. When it comes to something like microconsoles, the market is WAYYYYY smaller and the players are probably even less likely to pay for content. So it's all but guaranteed to lose money for developers.

I absolutely don't try to convince you to push your games to OUYA, and totally get your point of view. But I did a little research, and found that only 16 from over thousand OUYA games are totally free. I just thought that since it's android based platform then maybe it's not a big deal to deploy android game there. But now I understand that it is :)

Don't worry, I didn't think you were trying to convince us! I just like to explain things :)

The key thing here is something we struggle with A LOT, which is that perception is way more important than what is actually going on. An interesting example is the dance we had to play with Flop Rocket for where to put the pay wall.

We knew we were going to do it, but exactly where to put it is not obvious. We could have said, "after 50 runs you can't play anymore until you buy it!" but that kind of hard paywall just pisses people off. So we wanted a "horizontal" paywall (a payfence?) so that players could play the game forever, and even beat it, without making the purchase. The problem then is which content falls behind the fence? If we put too little up for free, players won't get to play enough to know they like the game. If we put too much up for free, the remaining content seems less valuable and is therefore harder to convince people to buy.

If you look at each of our games and where the payments are, then look at play complaints in the reviews, you can see this problem in action! In Flop Rocket especially, people frequently ask "why do I have to pay another $3 just to access more upgrade tracks? Why isn't it all free?" because they aren't framing it as "this game is $3" but instead "the REST of this game is $3". These are functionally the same, but subjectively quite different. And, consequently, people's willingness to pay and complain totally depend on how they perceive (frame) what the purchase means!

I really appreciate that you did it because for me most frustrating thing on iOS is that I can't try almost any game before I buy it. I've wasted dozens if not hundreds of dollars on games and apps that I have never used. They looked great on screenshots and videos but they turned out to be not what I expected.

So you give me as a player opportunity to check if I want your game even so you don't have to. In these circumstances if someone gives you one star because he/she doesn't want to pay for full game, it's just pure impudence.

You can ask for refund, can't you?

Sure you can. It works fine when you have a good reason like buggy game (tried it by myself). But if you ask for refund because you just don't like the game, they will return you money once and refuse to do it next time.

Return to Butterscotch General Chat