Forums look like crap on mobile -- anyone know why?

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
For those of you who try to browse the forums on your phones, you've certainly noticed that the text is stupidly small nearly everywhere, except where it's least important.

Now I have combed through the CSS that defines the appearance, and for the life of me cannot find any explanation for this. The font-sizes are in EMs, and are the same everywhere, so the only explanation I've got is that there is some javascript being applied somwhere. I've dug into the scripts I can find but nothing seems to yield an explanation.

Are any of you fine souls able to figure out what's going on here? I know there is some alternate styling for font size choices, but I can't figure out how that's even being triggered (if it IS being triggered).

Actually check the forum isn't table layout (css?). Common-est problem is that it's a table layout which completely ignores the CSS and fudges everything up.

The header/footer info conforms to size styles, its just everything within the "forum" parameters that goes out of whck.

All divs! No tables to speak of. Super weird.

Uh... yeah. Definitely weird. I'd happily look the code over to see if i can figure it out if you can get me access to a copy of it?

Right click -> Save As should work for some files. I tried it and it saves the html thingy and related stuff. Namely 4 css files, 3 javascript, 1 htm and pictures. Which is somewhat of a beginning.

- Does any script mess with style stuff? (like overwriting style.css or something)
- Apparently, Opera Mobile (12.10) does not have the problem of weird size stuff AT ALL (on Android 2.3.7). This *could* mean that it's some weird code interpretation problem.
Last edited by Ulnarevern on 02 Jul 2015 12:10, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Editing is practical

Anyone seen it on an iDevice?

@MeaKitty The code is really only editable by accessing the server directly, since editing it in the Admin console is only temporary.

@Ulnarevern that is a good start. I was digging into those various files to try to find something. I figure it's somehow switching to a different CSS file (in part) on mobile Chrome. The question is which one and why?

Now that I'm home and on chrome I can inspect your elements. Bwahahaha.

Also I can Google, cuz that's a thing too. I'd poke you about it, but I see you're busy with Crashlands.

I don't know how it switch or whatever it does either. Plus, when you "save as", the html and css are the static ones that ran through the script (I don't think I use the base material, but the result)

Maybe saving pages on mobiles and comparing them to the ones generated on PC could help?

For now I checked stuff with my very limited knowledge but I didn't see anything in the two scripts I can access. I did "only" around 2000 lines on the main css file, but it seems to have no reason to behave weirdly for now. Will try to check the rest soon.
However, there's so much stuff you just don't seem to use in all those files... (also, why did they make a single big file rather than 3 or 4?)

You/I/We might dig in the special commands (those dedicated to old IE and old browsers). It is possible that the main code creates a bug on mobile browsers and Opera reads the alternative code that work?
Or that it could be the source of the bug (like it is conflicting with main code and doing stuff only half the time).

And it's not only mobile Chrome. Firefox mobile does suck too and independently from the User agent. So basically they don't use media queries I think. Which suck, and also means it was probably developed mostly before mobile era... Which double sucks.

The oddest thing is still the fact that some posts inside the topics have a microscopic font while others are working fine...

(Deleted)
Last edited by scotchste on 26 Jan 2016 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all the feedback! With that much variability its undoubtedly a browser issue. Too bad Chrome is such a popular mobile browser...

Next

Return to Butterscotch General Chat