BRACE FOR IMPACT: The Crashlands Story

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Hey all!

So, I know that there is a previous thread in this board dedicated to DEV DIARY http://www.devdiaryseries.com, the game dev-centric webseries that me and the Forever an Astronaut http://www.foreveranastronaut.com crew started back in Nov / Dec... however, THIS ISN'T DEV DIARY ANYMORE!

BRACE FOR IMPACT: The Crashlands Story is the feature film documentary on the story of Butterscotch, the Costers, and the development and release of Crashlands! We're super excited to be announcing that the first season of Dev Diary is now a feature film, and to go along with that excitement we released an announcement trailer on Monday of this week. CHECK IT OUT AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqfxrVUoPQ

From here on out, we'll be using this thread to discuss progress on the film, answer any questions that you guys have, and throw up some potential asks, since we're still interested in chatting with fans, folks who were involved in the beta, and even getting clearance to use any Let's Plays, streams, and general YouTube playthroughs of the game (while promoting your channels, of course) if you guys are down to clown with us and help us with the film.

Currently - STATUS REPORT - we are sitting right around 60-70% of the way done with the film. We have 90% of it shot, with some pick-up shoots happening in late March / April. We're also interviewing editors, since I have been pre-editing, cutting trailers, and prepping the full film edit on and off since September of last year and ALL I SEE ARE COSTER BROTHERS. We want to have a killer editor come in, with virgin eyes, who can make this thing objectively the best version of this film that it can be.

Visit the site for the film http://www.braceforimpactmovie.com if you have any more curiosities, and we'll be sure to share behind-the-scenes stills, little sneak peek snippets, and any promotional stuff here with you all as often as we can. You guys are a huge motivating factor for this film, as we know you've been with BScotch and its games, and we want to be really transparent with you guys about what's going on with the film as we work on it.

THANKS! DANKE! GRACIAS! GRAZIE! MERCI!

Woohoo! I'm even more excited that this is becoming a feature film, that seems way more fitting. The idea of watching a web series weekly (as you stated on facebook) "will break up the immersion" and make the story seem disjointed. It definitely deserves a film length to tell the whole story in one go and I can't wait to see the final product. The trailer alone is pretty damn fantastic, so the final edit is going to be mindblowing.

I'm actually going to start a Let's Play series as soon as the last QoL (quality of life) patch is released, starting from the beginning all over again. If it comes in a timely fashion then you're most welcome to use it for your film, that's not an issue at all. I started making one earlier but realised that there would have been a lot of spoilers as I was in the Beta so knew a lot of what was going on, so yeah... it's been long enough that I'm excited to get through it in one go and show the full story that is Crashlands from front to back. If there's anything specific you need, feel free to let me know here or on Facebook or whatever, and I'll help out where I can.

Thank you so much, on behalf of the whole community, for giving Crashlands, The Costers, and all of Butterscotch Shenaningans your time and effort. I hope that the film brings you as much success as it seems Crashlands has brought to the BSBros. We much appreciate everything you've done, and I'm excited for the final result. <3

Woohoo great news!
THE TRAILER WAS AWESOME
Congrats on your project I really, REALLY want to see it!

Well I'll speak for myself but I think everyone - or close to - here would say the same: if you need me for anything, feel free to ask (PM or Discord or here, wherever you want), I/we'll all be happy to answer :)

If you guys want I can make up a channel in discord or even a small server for you to post updates and chat with whom ever you need to. Discord can be used via internet browser so you won't need to download a client. Also did someone say beta testers ;) Hello there I'm Jordan nice to meet you.

That's an amazing trailer! Looking forward to it! Especially liked that Adam was on this one.

I do have a question: how is this film going to be distributed after the festival circuit? Will it be on YouTube? Sold on Vimeo? Available on Netflix? Any other venues?

Rolling of what Nirnaeth said I am assuming you guys are going to push for the premier to be in St. Luis, but are there any plans for premier type thing over on the east coast? Also I forgot to mention before that even though a lot of people are excited that this has to do with BScotch, I wanted to wish you guys luck with it and say thank you for even picking them to be your subject for this film! Even after this is done I hope you pop around from time to time so we can show you some appreciation.

Hey guys!

I'm going to try and get set up on the Discord ASAP, and anyone that would be interested in a Skype / Google Hangout interview (if there's immense distance between us) / us using YouTube or streams would REALLY help us, so just shoot me an email at contact@foreveranastronaut.com and me and/or my co-producer James will take it from there. Email is easier to scheduling, archiving, etc.

To answer Jpesky and Nirnaeth's questions - our goal is to submit the film to as many festivals as possible in the Fall, since in the film world "official selections" and awards mean people will actually watch your film, and based on that we hope that a distributor of some sort will either be present at the fests and speak with us, or that we'd just self-distribute through Steam, iTunes, Google, Vimeo, and chat with Netflix / Hulu. BUT - we will have first run digitals, DVDs, and Blu-Rays up for pre-order in the next short while. We're aiming for a St. Louis International Film Festival or True/False (doc festival in Columbia, MO) premiere to start things off, but from there we'll be submitting it all over the country and all over the world, and if things work out, as we get selected (IF WE GET SELECTED) for festivals we'll want to travel with the film. So we can share all of those details as we get further along. James was toying around with the idea of us doing a screening tour independent of festivals after its been in the festival circuit, so if we pull the trigger on that we'll share the info here as well.

Guys, we appreciate the thanks and excitement, but after we met the brothers in September it became real clear real fast that this just had to happen, there was no way around it. They're the most positive and enthusiastic (on top of talented) dudes I've ever met in my life. So, really, we're just as excited as you guys are to be doing this. Also, Quadropus stole my soul in Winter of last year. So there's that. Hahaha.

QUICK UPDATE: If you're in or around St. Louis we'll be doing a huge Crashlands celebration / film update / sneak peek / excuse for us to film a BScotch party on March 25th with as many game devs, film folk, and friends of the Costers as we can cram in one building. Details are here, and it's a free event that just requires an RSVP. Hope to see some of you guys there! https://bazaarboy.com/event/1100/

Thanks for the thorough answer! I'm not on US, so I may have to wait for a little, but I'll stay tuned to know when I'm able to get it. Good luck, guys!

Also, it's been mentioned on Toucharcade: http://toucharcade.com/2016/03/08/brace-for-impact-the-crashlands-story-trailer/

Understood. We'll be sure to submit internationally as well. Where are you based, Nirnaeth? Not to pry, but just a general idea so that we can target festivals in that area.

Also, thank you SO much for sharing the TouchArcade post. We had no idea!

São Paulo, Brazil. Same continent, but very distant in many aspects. I have no idea how is the indie film scene here though I know it exists.

Next

Return to Butterscotch General Chat