Certificate problem with website bscotch.net

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
While editing my last bigger posting, i constantly got the following error message in my FireFox:

SEC_ERROR_OCSP_TRY_SERVER_LATER

Googling that, i found: https://github.com/npm/npm-www/issues/832
and this: https://loopbyte.com/blog/post/how-to-r ... erverlater

So, i switched to Chrome and that worked.

But i think, the webserver should be fixed - there are lots of FireFox users ;-)

Know bug for a long time, @bscotchAdam tried to fix this but he didn't manage to. YET.
Mostly because it's an obscure Firefox-related problem (and that it seems to happen over short periods of time)

Maybe the second posted link contains something new for Adam ;-)

It seems to be the Apache server version - upgrade or set "SSLUseStapling off" in ../apache/conf/includes/pre_virtualhost_global.conf or some similar file.

Just in case Adam did not try this :-)

And yes, some days ago, i did not have this issue.

Ah. I upgraded Firefox yesterday!

Yep, this is Firefox-specific and seems to come and go with Firefox updates, so I haven't dug into finding a server-side fix. @Etrusan found a client-side workaround recently, I believe. If it begins to be more of a problem I'll try to find an actual fix!

[Update: Sent the report to my webhost to find out if it's something they can quickly resolve, or if it's something I need to dig into. Will let you know if/when I get it fixed.]

Workaround is to go into about:config and disable OCSP stapling.

Uhmm.
Yes :-)

My first link points to the client solution ...

And i thought, that my second link points to the server solution ;-)

Of course is fixing the server much better :)

Thanks

Is this still a problem for anyone? I tried a change at the suggestion of my host, only on this site. I can make that same change on the others if it worked.

Since it appears to be random, it'll be hard to tell. Will re-able the OSCP Stapling or whatever it is to check it :)

Return to Butterscotch General Chat