Plans for more Steam ports

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Hi!
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried searching and was told by the search engine that "steam release on" are all too common words and that I would need some other words to search by.

Are you planning on porting your other games to Steam, besides Crashlands? I currently own Crashlands on Android and Steam and am afraid I'm almost at the end. I will probably buy all the other games to support you guys, but I think I'm most excited for the Quadropus one, as it seems the most similar to Crashlands.

Thanks! I love BS, keep it coming. I can't get enough BS in my life. BS all day, morning, noon and night.
-Bodega

We've discussed doing this, and go back and forth now and then. There are two main issues that are in the way of this.

First, Quadropus is the only game in our portfolio that is both good enough and sizeable enough to be successful on Steam. But, it is hampered by the next problem.

Second, our other games have bad monetization schemes on mobile. Either we keep those schemes and then also don't make any money on Steam, or we change them to be regular old pay-up-front. Changing them would be the only feasible way, BUT, then how do we deal with the fact that the monetization schemes are different on PC and mobile? This is especially problematic for Quadropus, as we'd have to change a ton of stuff about the game in order to pull all the IAPs out. Then the mobile and PC versions would be different, but you'd still be able to sync your progress between them via BscotchID, so what would that look like?

That isn't to say these problems aren't solvable. It's that solving them will be hugely costly (development time plus launch plus maintenance on a new platform) but unlikely to have much of a return. In fact, the reason we decided to have Quadropus 2 be our next game was that we were trying to figure out how we could successfully launch Quadropus Rampage on Steam and eventually decided it would be better to just re-make the entire game!

Hi Adam,
I completely understand, thanks for the explanation. I'll get it on Android and get all buttered up, you guys deserve it. I'm really sad that my journey in Crashlands will be ending, I think, not sure how much further I have in the tundra.

FWIW, I know I would rather just pay for a game up front rather than deal with IAPs. I realize I don't represent the market, but there have been many mobile games that I've liked on my Nvidia Shield, Kindle or Phone that I've stopped playing because of the IAP. I'd rather just buy the game.

Thanks again for the many enjoyable hours, and I hope you'll continue to release games on Steam.

Have a great 2017, peace,
- Bodega

Thanks for the love!

We also would rather pay, and have people pay, up front instead of riddling games with IAPs. That'll be our plan as long as we can make it viable -- we're hoping the market doesn't change so much that it becomes impossible to launch premium titles.

Return to Butterscotch General Chat