WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? (Introductions)

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Tell us about yourself. What's your story?
Well, I'm only 13 and so i feel that I don't have too much to say, life just hasn't thrown its worst at me... yet. I live in England and am originally from Bangladesh and, although my parents lived most of their lives here, they still follow the social traditions of Bangladesh- no games, more work- and so most of the time I just study and study. That means that gaming is very restricted and that is exactly why it took me almost four weeks just to beat Pete in Quadropus Rampage. Hehe!! However, although it is very tiring, I believe that its worth it since I have the glory of going up on stage for an academic reward every so often in school. Also, it's very nice to know that I am one of the best in the year.
Many of my friends are also very much like me- vicious workers studying day and night- and they are exactly what came up with my infamous nickname, "beast." It's mainly because I have a short temper which I just completely let loose while participating in some kind of physical activity like football. I guess it's like rampaging or something (Hurrah to the references to Quadropus Rampage!!).
What are some of your favorite things?

Brown paper packages tied up with string? LOL!! Are you guys telepathic or something because that's exactly what I was about to write... if I were to go completely cuckoo and fall in love with a marshmallow. Of course not! One of my favourite things in the world is probably gaming. Although it's treated like drug addiction or something along the lines of that in our house, I still do it almost every day<= HAHA rebel!!! I love gaming, especially on android and PC since I suck when it comes to console which I think is primarily because I rarely ever play and I'm always on my laptop or tablet. Without gaming, my life would be incomplete, and probably would be as bored as hell when I have nothing to do.
My favourite subjects are computing, science and mathematics. I just them all so interesting and they are what I look most forward to when I start studying. I would love to go into jobs to do with programming since I really like the outcome of all that hard work- possibly a beautiful game like Towelfight 2 ;D. Science, is just plain interesting and another job aspiration which I really would like to be is a doctor- there's money, saving people's lives and variation in routine. Finally, maths is probably one of my favourite among these 3 subjects as I am just naturally extremely good at it. Wait, what's that? You want proof? I won best in the school in a maths test which was done by everyone and I am so proud of it haha XD!! Those big beefy guys a couple of years older were beaten disgracefully by a 13 year old!!!
What's the one thing in the universe that you just can't stand?[/b]
Smoking. It kills, pollutes, stinks... I could go on all day but my main point is that I find that it's completely stupid- no offence is meant to those here that do such a repulsive thing- I just hope that you find the strength to quit.
What are you working on these days to make yourself a more amazing person?

It's possible to make myself more amazing? OF COURSE NOT!! Well of course not in my dreams :(. Nowadays I am really determined to gain a six pack- YEAH!!- and really build up my muscle since people just say that I'm so skinny. Also, I'm trying to learn how to program in Python, it's the very first ever language that I'm learning and so far, I've learnt most of the basics. I really want to make my own game, alike to those you guys create, maybe not so complex though. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any tips and, I'm just wondering, what programming language do you guys use mostly to programme games? Thnx for reading!! Especially if you read all the way up to here- whoa that must have been boring though- so many words! Plese do excase any stupid mestakes I'v mede hehe!!

@Teejay5? Glad to have you here! I was quite impressed with the games you showed us at the Brutal Honesty Night (or whatever that thing was called).

B3A5T said:

Also, I'm trying to learn how to program in Python, it's the very first ever language that I'm learning and so far, I've learnt most of the basics. I really want to make my own game, alike to those you guys create, maybe not so complex though. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any tips and, I'm just wondering, what programming language do you guys use mostly to programme games?

[/quote]
Python is DEFINITELY the right choice for getting into programming. It's one of the friendliest languages out there, but powerful enough that you can do anything with it. There is a package called PyGame for, as you would guess, making games with Python. I haven't used it, and suspect that making a complex game would be quite difficult in this environment. But making even a simple, shitty game in PyGame would be a highly educational experience.
Seth is a huge advocate of Gamemaker by Yoyo Games, since that's also the platform where he learned how to program (and that platform all BScotch games are made in). The language they use is closer to C/C++ but more limited, though you won't run into those limits until you've been programming for quite some time. The whole purpose of the language is to make games and so it is a lot more fun to learn than something like pure C++, C#, or Java.
Unity is a much more powerful platform that uses a standard language (C#) for 3D game development. The difference in difficulty between 2D (like in Gamemaker) and 3D is huge; it would be wise to start with 2D programming. Unless you are like @Teejay5?, apparently...

@BscotchAdam?, I just checked out Gamemaker and am actually learning how to use it. Thnx for letting me know about it. But I just wanna confirm, bsotch created quadropus rampage on it??

@B3A5T? Indeed we did! Well, Sam and Seth did, anyway. Crashlands is also going to be entirely made in Gamemaker.

Check out Seth's thread on 2D game development tools, and the thread on all of the mini games made by Bscotch (all with Gamemaker).

@B3A5T? Yep, our stance is that Game Maker is hands-down the best tool for the job when it comes to 2D game development. HANDS DOWN.

Awesome!! I'm making my first game on it haha!!

[url=/profile/4/BscotchSeth]BscotchSeth[/url] said:

@B3A5T? Yep, our stance is that Game Maker is hands-down the best tool for the job when it comes to 2D game development. HANDS DOWN.

[/quote]
>:)

HANDS DOWN, TIM!

I haven't used game maker since ... like... it's 3rd update.... total.... Probably should mess with it a bit again, but unity seems to be my jam for now. (besides, it seems that I prefer the 3d environment more then 2d, even though I can do the 2d stuff just fine.)

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch General Chat