WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? (Introductions)

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Hey there, since I'm listening to the podcast and starting to ask questions I thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a keen GM hobbyist so you will probably see some posts from me on the GameDev thread at some point ;)

Tell us about yourself. What's your story?

I'm 35, French and currently living in Singapore. My big passions are music, drawing, programming & gaming.

I got completely hooked to video games when my parents bought an Atari ST. I spent hours of my teenage life playing games and drawing. I became pretty good at drawing manga and my first serious attempts at programming also date from that time, first on Atari then on PC.

Eventually I went to uni in Paris to learn Software Engineering. A lot of my time was spent gaming & modding back then, and I was keen pursuing a career in video games. I managed to get an internship at Silmarils, a French indie studio which did very well in the Atari years, but not so much on the PC market. Remember the Ishar series? These guys were my absolute idols back then!

Sadly I was left a bit frustrated by the end of the internship. The roles in the studio were split - there were programmers & artists, but the two did not cross over. I am pretty creative, can draw and program, so at the time I just felt there wouldn't be a role that would let me leverage all of these skills, and with my software formation I was likely to move onto a pure programming role. I couldn't see myself working for a Ubisoft or one of the big French studios, and definitely wasn't entertaining starting my own studio.

I was particularly disillusioned by the industry itself. Silmarils was struggling financially at the time and I believe their last few games were all commissioned by private investors. During my time there, the game we worked on was a pretty uninspiring third person shooter. This was completely out of line with the iconic games these guys had produced in the past. A year later Simarils went bankrupt and the game never got published.

I am not saying I had a bad time at Silmarils - I loved every minute of the time I spent there. But after this internship I was left without a real drive to work in the game industry...

With a Software Engineering degree and no idea what I would do next, I decided to do another internship in London to practice my English. One thing led to another and I have now been working as a consultant for a financial software company for the last 10 years, and have been travelling for work and leisure a fair bit in Europe, and Asia & Australia a lot since I arrived in Singapore.

Despite not working in video-games, I'm still a gaming enthusiast and discovered Game Maker four years ago, which was a big hit for me! It is a great framework, absolutely perfect to put something together quickly, which is very rewarding.

What are some of your favorite things?

Because or my interest in game development & Game Maker, I stumbled accross the BScotch website, the dev blogs + podcast. Really enjoying the podcast which are inspiring and motivating!

Music: I have eclectic tastes but anything acoustic generally rocks my boat. One of my favourite artist is Fink - that guy is just awesome.
I play a bit of guitar myself, albeit I do not spend nearly enough time to be good at it!

Games: I don't have much time for gaming any more, so I really appreciate casual games you can pick up, play 5 min and switch off. Flop Rocket is pretty awesome for that! Games I enjoyed in the last few years are Minecraft, Don't Starve, and I am a big fan of Mount and Blade. And of course Crashlands!

Sport: Swimming - I joined a masters swimming club in the UK; this was more social than competitive, but it taught me all four strokes and I made good friends!

I also enjoy travelling, photography, cooking, good food (Singapore food is amazing!), good wine, good cheese and good company!! I have a espresso machine and love a good cup of coffee.

What's the one thing in the universe that you just can't stand?
Right now, Jet Lag! Just flew back from visiting family in Europe. Travelling Eastward sucks!

What are you working on these days to make yourself a more amazing person?

My ambition these days is to produce a 2D Rogue Lite game for Android. I have a well started prototype and most of the mechanics sorted, my struggle is just to find the time to complete it alongside my busy full time job... One step at a time!

Welcome @doombrowski - good to be able to know a bit about a name I've heard on the podcast.

Also welcome @mitron - Winterhaven is a name I've heard before. My fiance's from that area, but I smuggled him away to Australia at his request. XD You still into drawing/art, or are you chasing the coder dream now?

Welcome around!

Thanks both! @MeaKitty carrying both coding/art in my little projects. At the moment I am focusing on getting a strong code base on my rogue lite game and shamelessly using borrowed sprites from castle crasher (I don't like using boxes!) but when I start adding content I will work on the look and feel of the game.
I saw you live in Adelaide on this thread, cool city! I was there a bit last year for a project, Press is my favourite restaurant! Can't beat ozzie steaks ;)

Woohee another native French (we're losing to Australians since Runey5 came ^^)!
Welcome around :)

You're all losing to us Americans ;)

woo america! :highfive:

@Mr.Jpesky Americans don't count in this Competition. Only us international peeps are counted and I'm pretty sure we're both losing. I think Runey and I are the only Australians in here/Discord on a regular basis anyway. =P

why dosn't america count :(

Because Americans are everywhere. All. The. Time. I'm an Australian artist and 90% of my fans are American. It is minority competition and Americans are not the minority. =P

Recruit some more international Butterscotchians and then we might see about letting Americans participate when there's a more level playing field. Lol.

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch General Chat