WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? (Introductions)

Just some talk about general Butterscotchy stuff here.
Tell us about yourself. What's your story?
I wear all the hats, but I'd like to take them off and play games and walk around in parks.

What are some of your favorite things?
Plants and insects generally. Sometimes people. Often birds and mammals too. All things linux...

What's the one thing in the universe that you just can't stand?
The sound of teeth and forks hitting each other. Make it stop!

What are you working on these days to make yourself a more amazing person?
Inkscape. I bought your games because I want to see the inkscape to sprite phenomenon in action. Please post more videos and remember to explain when you're hitting hot keys. I've also been looking at WebGL a lot lately, and it has drawn me into game development a bit to see how things could work if I was more clever.

Welcome, @Decoy!

Wait wait wait. Isn't the feeling of forks touching teeth the most horrible thing that exists?! Why would people do that on purpose?

My name's Luke and 10 years ago I went and got myself a fancy certificate for Game Art & Design at the good ol' Art Institute. I worked as a QA Tester for EA for a year or so after but never had the confidence in my abilities to feel like I could compete with all the other artists and designers here in Vancouver.

Soon after EA, I got involved in a temporary customer service gig which spawned into a fully fledged career over the following decade. In that span I met my wife, got some grown up life experiences of my own and now find myself at 30 years old, presented with an opportunity to pursue my original passion again.

The company I'm with will be closing it's doors at the end of the year and I'll be laid off. We'll be moving to a new town in April and I plan on using the 3 to 4 months leading up to the move to make indie game dev as my full time job.

I've been treating the two months leading up to January as a crash course in Game Dev and picked up a ludicrous amount of information from the fine folks here at Butterscotch Shenanigans. I can't even put to words how helpful finding your website has been and the bounty of information here has been thoroughly harvested by my brain goblins.

Long story short, I plan on becoming more active here and shed my lurking ways to pursue my dream of making independent games. I look forward to posting and reading more in the future!

As an ice blooded Canadian, I obviously love hockey. I write for a local hockey blog and have a website where I post my own hockey comics/cartoons at http://offthepostcomic.com.
I listen to a LOT of music and have been known to play some myself.
I play a lot of RPG's and single player story driven games.

Intolerance and blind hatred.

So many things can go here... I'm currently learning Game Maker, Inkscape and Ableton Live. All at the same time.
However, I have previous experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, Manga Studio and FL Studio. So the coding is proving to be the biggest stretch for my brain guardian to conquer.

Welcome around! Good luck on your endeavours! :)

I'm glad you've found our stuff to be useful. Best of luck on your indie dev adventure -- definitely let us know how it all goes.

YAAAAAAH! Way to make the most of a rough situation. And I'm glad we can be of service! We have an entire GAME DEV section on the forums here too, so if you ever want to talk shop, that's a good place to do it.

Thanks Ulnarevern, Adam and Seth! I will most definitely be making a nuisance of myself in those Game Dev forums.

@Northbad heck yes. good on you for turning the work situation into a personal win. it's not always easy to rock back from nonsense like that, so kudos!

@Decoy I've got some vids I SWEAR I'll be posting sometime soon. Though there are even more complex hotkeys being handled by my autohotkey script (thanks to @BscotchAndy) so it's likely to be somewhat confusing. HRRRGH. And what's your favorite insect? I like taking super-up-close photos of the weird bugs and plants I see around, including when taking a walk from the office. Here's one of Lenny the caterpillar's back [http://imgur.com/F2Ew8p9] and a cool yellow plant from the Smokey Mountains [http://imgur.com/qXqYurX]

WEEELLLCOOOOOME!

I'm just a guy, standing in front of a forum, asking it to love him.

OK so in the 21st century it is way too easy to consume things. I'll stick with a few favorites from each medium.

Film: anything by Wes Anderson, Damien Chazelle, Akira Kurosawa, and David Fincher. Recently: La La Land, The Handmaiden, and Moonlight.

Music: I'm all over the place - lately Solange, Japandroids and Jamie xx

TV: GoT, almost any Netflix or CW show, Atlanta

People who don't attempt to understand or empathize with their fellow humans

I'm in school attempting to become a nurse after a few years of soul searching.

PreviousNext

Return to Butterscotch General Chat