SIAH - Stick It Around Here (Random stick-style comic)

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
Stick It Around Here!

I started this comic for a school work. Now it will be a weekly updated comic.
You can read it here (I update this post and I post the latest comic at the end of the topic too), or you can find and/or watch me on DeviantArt (for now)
Direct link to SIAH folder if you want to see this comic only.

First three:

Long story short: for a school thingy I wanted to get inside a game development studio to discover what it's like to be a game designer (and interview him) in a pro studio. It didn't turn out as expected. I made this little comic for my oral. This is the approximative translation.

Another one.

0005 - Lame
http://orig05.deviantart.net/21bf/f/2015/131/6/f/0005___lame_by_ulnarevern-d8syskn.png
Sorry this one is too big (more than 900 pixels high) to fit on the forums.

Noticed how I did not make fun of any minority?
At first I thought using a man/woman thing but it was too easy, cliché and all. Then I thought of making fun of the white privileged man but it wouldn't have worked. So I had this idea.

0006 - In bed

0007 - Moods part A

If you're wondering about the last panel, just wait the next part.

0008 - Moods part B

http://img10.deviantart.net/d143/i/2015/143/f/5/0008___moods_b___siah_by_ulnarevern-d8uesdk.png

0009 - Generalist Extremism

0010 - Break-ups

Theme of the week: BREAK-UPS

And URL only because it is too big for the forums.

http://img13.deviantart.net/d16e/i/2015/157/e/5/0010___break_ups___siah_by_ulnarevern-d8w7bsg.png[/url]

0011 - Divorce

http://img10.deviantart.net/c538/i/2015/164/2/b/0011___divorce___siah_by_ulnarevern-d8x5arb.png

12 - Forgot about that shit

13 - Meanings

It's big but there's not a lot of reading.

14 - Talking with people

0015 - Don't worry

0016 - Stranger in a Strange Land

0017 - Existential Crisis

0018 - Ideas

0019 - Forever After

Apart from this comic, I'm messing a bit with Inkscape to get some mouse-drawing-vectorial skill for a more serious comic and graphics for a game. You can see some results here
Last edited by Ulnarevern on 15 Aug 2015 18:36, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update

Good stuff, reminds me of xkcd.

"For the love of creation!"

The feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels. <3

(1) Make a website.
(2) Stick your comics on it.
(3) Update regularly
(4) ???
(5) Profit.

The "make a website" is actually the missing part.

It is a long-time planned thing by the way and I hope I find a way to set up something ASAP (deadline objective: end of 2015).
I don't really know how to do it (and have nothing to do it) and I don't really want to/can afford a hosting (except if you have great cheap hosts)... I have a few able friends though.

I'd put comics, a few photos I took and my stories.
Guess I'll have some heavy digging to do.

For now I put the comics on my DeviantArt Scrapbook (guess that DeviantArt would be a start before getting a website but I'm not exactly convinced by it). And I share some of my stuff here.

The "update regularly" part may cause a problem too. But that's another thing.

We use nearlyfreespeech.net (NFS), which is SUPER CHEAP. At the moment, we spend a pretty small amount of money for all of our hosting (for all BscotchID content and the forums). The forums are actually responsible for most of our resource costs, which makes sense since they are not at all designed to minimize bandwidth and are open to the public for viewing. It's a do-it-yourself atmosphere, which is great for learning and for having really tight control but not great if you just want something up and running.

If you host at NFS you can get a fully updated dynamic site for $0.01/day and a MySQL process for $0.01/day. If you build your site cleverly to minimize bandwidth (by e.g. using cheap image hosts, offloading processing to the client via javascript, and minimizing bandwidth by using AJAX) you'd spend, at most, a few dollars/month even with a decent amount of traffic.

We get away with this by being really careful how we use our resources. For example, the games retrieve as small an amount of data as possible as infrequently as possible (while still yielding a reasonable game experience), and data is cached wherever possible. We pay $2/month for premium hosting on imgur for ALL images (including the in-game avatars) since a single small image takes up way more bandwidth/storage than most webpages. And we don't let you upload images to our forums ;). Our own hosting would probably be a little cheaper on average, but we like knowing what it's going to cost as well a knowing that the host has the infrastructure to handle huge spikes when they do happen.

If you want to really learn how to do it, I'd suggest starting with HTML/CSS alone to make a simple static version of your dream site, then start playing with jQuery (it's easier and more powerful than javascript) to deliver pieces of your website asynchronously (so when people click 'NEXT' you just swap out one comic for the next, for example). Then start learning PHP/MySQL so you can store/edit/retrieve your data in a much more robust, extendable, and useful way.

Thanks a lot!
I'll dig it :)
Hypothetical questions though:
- Would you talk a bit about my site (if I make one) around you and on social media (a link or whatever)?
- Do you think this kind of content could be interesting for people?

ad the 'Do you think ...' - sure! I want more already!

Woohoo!
Next one will be more "artistic" (BACKGROUND) so it takes much more time but it's on it's way ;)

Also, on a half related topic, I'll try to continue my translation for Aurora on a regular basis.

@Ulnarevern

(1) A while ago we decided that we'd only use our social media platforms to, in general, promote our own work. There are many reasons we decided to do that, but the main reasons are (a) we don't want to dilute our brand, (b) we don't want to open that floodgate. However, it's only been other game devs who've asked us for mentions and we haven't discussed anything like an "awesome things our community is doing" promotion. For now, I'll say that it's a possibility, but at best would be restricted to mature projects by really active community members.

(2) Yep ;)

Next

Return to Off Topic