[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - What's your countries History and known for

What's your countries History and known for

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
I was wondering what's all your countries History? And we're your country known for is. And maybe typical things from your country.

My country is the Netherlands I think you already saw that.
Well my country was very famous in the Golden Age, we were the richest country in the world. We also had the importantst trade market. Called The Amsterdam Exchange, that was in Amsterdam were other countries maked deals with us. We were the first to get independent. Because of the eighty years war against the Spanish King and we finally won. A lot of famous paintings were made in that time, and the paintings rose. Because we were proud of what we accomplished, because we fought against water and won, we were the first independent country. And some other things, we were the only country with a "free" religion. We had the biggest slave trade :cry: . The companies that deals with slaves was called the WIC. We also had another company called the VOC that was a normal companie the traded in spices and other. Well we also maked a lot of other things in the opast. The telescope, the submarine, THE CHOCOLATE BAR, the car, and some other things.
My country is known about, it's cheese, the stroopwafel, the wind meals, clogs (ALMOST NOBODY WEARS CLOGS ANYMORE!!! TO GET RID OF THE STEREOTYPE. I just get mad of how can people think about us with stereotypes.) The legalized weed, the tulips and last but not least bikes.
Last edited by tofos on 06 Oct 2015 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use edit button, please.

Whoooo your country is really fu!#%* up. That your country still is a country surprises me. So many invasions, and bad things happened there like holy crap.

And I don't know we're those stereotypes come from but all that you see will be wrong.

http://www.nationalstereotype.com/the-d ... ereotypes/

That's all false, except for that we all can speak English!
Last edited by Ulnarevern on 06 Oct 2015 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Little, the "Edit" button is just on the right of your post :)

In short:

As every European country, France was based of risen and fallen kingdoms and empires, sometimes some French kings or else almost achieved Europe domination (Charlemagne and Napoléon are two of them) before everything went to hell for a reason or another.

Alongside with other European countries, French culture had some big recognition from time to time (Renaissance, under Louis XIV who made participated in making France a country where luxury is made or something...) and is still pretty well recognized for Paris and wine (and other stuff)

France was also part of slavery/slave trade (like most of the other European countries), helped the USA getting independent (thanks to Lafayette I think? who helped them kicking British soldiers out). French *almost* became the official US language (English got 1 more voice)

And that's all I can think of.

Apparently there are many languages that think that they almost became the official language of the U.S. The one that German almost won is pretty wide spread and called the Muhlenberg legend. There is a wikipedia article about it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhlenberg_legend

Ok my bad I mixed stuff up.
There's apparently no official federal language in the US but Wikipedia says that 31 of 50 States have it as their official language. Nothing to do with votes or else.

The other part I was thinking about is that French people wanted to make French the official international language or something, but it failed. Or something.
French is also *supposed* to be the official language for the Olympic Games, even if not used. This data comes from a few years back, it might have changed since then.

Good posts all. Yeah think of Netherlands winning FREEDOM from the spanish occupiers in the late middle ages after a tough war, booted 'em out. Did this led by the Prince of Orange so NOWADAYS that event commerated annually with EVERYONE wearing bright Orange. No half measures this day. Wear orange, have parades, eat and hang out. Like our 4th of July. Nope, trade economic and maritime and land and religious freedom. Yeah then WWIi was very very hard. Lots of cold & hungry. They had an active underground. I learned this from my good friend and would love to go see someday. Eat cheeses and cocoa and a million kinds of licorice and waffles stuffed with caramel. Serious stuff. They are experts at reclaiming lowlying land and maming it productive; they have an egalitarian society.

Return to Off Topic