I made a website and stuff

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
WELL.
In this case, don't see the ads as ads but as social sharing or something? XD
Plus I'll probably set some kind of donation/patreon system one day or another, but not now. I'd rather get some followers I think?

Hey, I have some kind of question, hope you can answer, but how do you do the multiple "sub-domains" (like forums.bscotch.net ; podcast.bscotch.net and so on) on NearlyFreeSpeech?
Does this require multiple webites or is it inside the website that you can change the stuff?
Is this that thing ? https://faq.nearlyfreespeech.net/sectio ... subdomains

You can only do that on domains you own. But once you own a domain, you also own every conceivable subdomain. The registar I use for most sites is mydomain.com, though I'm pretty sure you can buy domains through NFS. I buy domains pretty readily because they are cheap, and that way other people can't get their grubby hands on them ;).

For example, I own adamcoster.com, adamcoster.net, costerad.com, and several others. And Bscotch owns bscotch.net, butterscotchshenanigans.com, crashlands.net, and several others. We host our blog and bought our butterscotch-shenanigans.com domain name through Blogger.

The key idea is that owning a domain through a registrar and hosting web content for that domain are TOTALLY SEPARATE THINGS. Many sites will let you do both registration and hosting, but they're still independent things.

Once you own a domain you can set up subdomains through your registrar, via DNS (Domain Name Services). You have to have something to point that domain to, however. Typically you'll need a different hosting plan per subdomain, though that depends on the host (BlueHost, for example, lets you host multiple subdomains on the same site, while NFS and many others require that you set up (and pay for) a different site for each domain).

Other services, like Blogger, Wordpress, various merch sites, and many others, will let you map your domain name to them.

DNS stuff is super confusing at first, but not too bed once you fiddle around with it for a while. Hope that helps!

Alright THANKS FOR THIS EXPLANATION! :D

Hey, does anyone know if/how Google references stuff?
I mean, I want to get a correct referencing (I had it when you asked Hybrid Reverie to Google, but I deleted the site and changed URL) but I still haven't a "real" domain name so far.

If I get a good position on Google now and add the domain name later, how will this work? Will I have to be re-referenced for the domain name or will it just replace the url?

P.S. I've made 11 posts so far. Wait, make it 3.

You have NO control over the Google Search results, and they will point to a URL specifically. If you start with one URL and end up with a new one, you can't update search results to reflect that. If your site is hosted by the same company before and after getting a domain name, it's likely you'll be able to map your domain name to that service. That means that both your new domain name and the old url would go to the same place. This is good, but it does effectively split your ability to get to the top of search engines, because links to one or the other of those sites will count as separate pages. Getting to the top of search engines is a slow process anyway, and if you don't have a lot of people linking to your site yet then you won't lose out on much by switching. It's only a big deal if you have a high ranking that can be lost by a URL change.

Alright so I'll buy the domain name before anything. Thank you for the answer! :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND... Done.

Took me long enough, but it's finally done, French and English, HTML5 & CSS3, jQuery/Javascript, PHP, MySQL.

It's some hell of a mess and I have no idea how I could manage to make it run correctly, BUT IT DOES ANYWAY!

You'll be able to find my webcomic SIAH and some short stories there!

In cased you missed the link on the top: http://www.hybrid-reverie.com

Congrats!

Oh, hey your website! It's nice. It does have some weird scrolling on my phone but it's works! I like the comics.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic