Switching from iPhone to Android -- model suggestions?

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
So I've searched to see if this was already posted somewhere and couldn't find anything, so hopefully that is true....

But... I'm trying to switch from iPhone to android and need some recommendations for which android to choose. I'd like it to have specs good enough to continue playing crashlands and other games just as smoothly as an iPhone. Anyone got any good advice? I've been looking into the Sony Xperia z5 but am not too sure yet.
Last edited by bscotchAdam on 08 Feb 2016 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made title reflect content

What is your price limit, display size, other prefered things like SD card support, wireless charging, root?

That's the thing I'm not entirely sure. I'd like a display slight larger than an iPhone 6. And price wise around $500. Charging and root and all that I'm not too worried about. As long as the phone can run games well enough to where they don't lag or anything. Do you know how an Xperia z5 is? That's what I'm currently looking into, but I know there could be better.

Just a quick note, Crashlands can run well on a potato ;) So no worries about what you decide to get as I am sure the game will run fine. Now I am a galaxy fanboy so I love my GS6, but listen to Etrusan he knows where it's at.

Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to what he has to say! I've got my eye on the GS6 as well but if possible I'd like to spend a bit less and still get a decent phone and as long as I can play my games hahaha...

I forget that I got mine with a contract lol. I was hit with the contract prices and a cheap phone lol.

Gotcha! I'll probably go contract if there is one.

Well... 100-200 ones can be okay-ish, depending on what you prefer/want. If you don't plan on putting your nose on the screen (ie VR), you don't need a high resolution or stuff like that (hence, less performance needed and more battery life).
Also, keep in mind that "cheap phones with contract" are a win for the guy who sells the contract. It's usually cheaper to buy each separately (here at least)

Be aware that each brand has it's own stuff over the basic Android, and it makes big differences if you don't plan on rooting and adding a custom ROM to it. I personally can't stand Samsung's while I do enjoy Sony's (I have no knowledge of the others). But it's a matter of taste, so I advise just going out and trying stuff out :)

I got Xperia Sola in 2012 and it was horrible mistake. No support like at all, phone is laggy (512MB of RAM) and battery life is not good. I woudn't buy Samsung because their UI looks like it was made for kids (this might change in the past year, so) and also is HW hungry. I just got the K1 tablet for $200 (gaming mostly) and it runs smooth, tho I miss Sony's framework. Friend of my just got Lenovo Vibe and he is very happy with it. I think you won't make mistake with Sony's flagship and if they drop the support (and they will, sooner than you think) XDA should be strong for Custom ROMs with new Android builds. MTK had some issues with GPS and there wasn't many ROMs for it (because they didn't cooperate) but that also might changed. I have modded Sony launcher and it's the best launcher you can find out. Too bad it requires framework that is not present in AOSP ROMs (like my Shield K1).

I think you don't want to go with contract. It's better to buy phone in a shop, so there's NO MORE bloatware from carrier.

I think Xperia Sola was a low-end phone (like lower than my Xperia U?) and entry phones are performing better than they used to in 2012.

Also discontinued support is the same everywhere I think?

And I would not recommend Lenovo. They had some additional software on their PCs that added advertisement on your web pages AND that caused a major vulnerability.

Stuff like Wiko, Archos or other brands like those can be really interesting, but I fear there are also bad models.

Next

Return to Off Topic