Mobas?

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
Does anyone play Mobas? I got my feet wet with Vain Glory when it was released, great game. But I've been playing HOS (Heroes Of Soulcraft) Android and Steam only, sorry Apple. I have an 8 month old son so 30+ min for one game in Vain Glory is too long but HOS had a 5-10 Min 3v3 or 10-15 min 5v5. If you have noticed they are both mobile games, I don't get as much PC gaming time as I use to. Just curious if anyone else plays these games or others.

VAINGLORY ROCKS YOUR SOCKS OFF!!!

I played far too much League of Legends in my day, and a fair amount of Heroes of the Storm. Never quite got into the mobile mobas, which is probably for the best.

I don't quire understand the appeal of MOBAS.. Care to explain it?

For me it's the short match duration combined with strategic coo-op that relies less on fast-twitch skill (as opposed to FPSs) and more on trying to do the right thing. Yeah, they're still pretty dang fast-paced, but not overly so.

In general I can't get too into them though, because there is just way too much to learn to be good at it. MOBAs have to be played as a serious hobby unless you don't mind staying at the bottom of the ladder. Which I don't mind so much, but then you also end up playing with frustrating people unless you have close friends who ALSO suck to play with.

Yeah the big downside to MOBAs is that they force you to choose one and dedicate all your discretionary time to that one game in order to do decently - with all the characters, items, mechanics, strategies, and expectations of teammates there's so much to learn. And it's all very rewarding when you reach that high level and move beyond copying other people's builds and grok the game. But then they change to a new "season" and half of what you learned gets thrown out the window and you need to learn all new things ... And it was at that point that I realized I didn't care to dedicate my whole life to learning to play League over and over again.

Heroes of the Storm is different, you really don't need to learn much to start playing that, and it's way more forgiving with team based leveljng and no last-hitting etc., but once you've swam woth the sharks it just feels unsatisfying to piddle around with minnows.

I suppose that's why I'm not in to them fully. I need to give them a chance at some point.

Not to pour vinegar in anybody else's teapot, but I personally avoid games without a clear "you are done with this game, good job!" condition like the plague. I know myself too well; I like my addictions to have a natural terminus. :)

It's not even that, It's just that I don't have the likeness for something I don't have 100% control over. I play lots of Counter Strike. In Global Offensive alone I have over 3k hours. I love that ever tap, ever mouse movement, every little thing I do gives me full control of my character. It combines FPS will a killer stragety aspect which I love. I love being able to out smart your opponents, while satisfying that childish urge of 360° NoScoping someone.

Return to Off Topic