Learning how to draw (inkscape)

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
It's been kind of two years since a started learning about game dev. I don't have any drawing skill and always wanted to learn but every single time I had tried I quited because my drawings were awkward, and I never found the right tools to use. I came across inkscape and give a big shot, for a hole week after my english class I stayed at the library to practice drawing, but I wasn't happy with the outcome.

But then I saw how you guys did Crashland with Inkscape, and I made up my mind and decided to learn art for videogames with inkscape. Here my first drawing:

I also used the timelapse on youtube. Butterscoth are an inspiration to me, and I talk to my friends about your games! :D

BEAUTIFUL. Such a shiney shiny device. I love it.

Best thing you can ever do as an artist is to never give up. Each failure gets you one step closer; you learn from what you fail at, so that you can get to where you need (and want) to be at. So it's forward progress no matter how you look it.

Keep it up, and can't wait to see more of your work. ^_^

Great job HOLY MOLY. Don't tell the bros or I'll be out of a job right quick.

Once you get really good you'll be able to whip stuff like that up in 15 minutes or so. Most assets for Crashlands (unanimated) take me ~20 minutes to make, which is partially how we were able to get so much content into the game in the 2 year timeframe we had.

Keep it up! Inkscape is the bomb.

Thanks guys. It means a lot! Here are two more I just did.

Changing color in inkscape is way easy, I had fun playing with it. :)

NIIIICE. You're CRUSHING IT!

Are you using just black for the shadow colors?

Try using a super dark red, green, or blue and see how it changes stuff. It makes a hell of a difference - and then you can do it with the highlights, too!

Lookin' good.

Very nice work :)

WELL DONE!!

Super Impressive and Inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

I have been making a character for a game I got on mind, it took me a lot of time. I quite like it, though. Oh! Been using dark red and dark green for the shadows and lights ;) .

By the way, I watched some of your videos guys, about game dev and building a studio, and I guess it will be a good idea to let people know about what I'm working on. So I've decided to do a gamedev, using tumblr and twitter (not a big deal, BUT it's an start). I mean, it's way much better than just throwing the game on the google play all of the sudden, isn't it? And since I'm a solo, it'll make some kind of commitment. What do you guys think? How did you advertise your first games?

Check those topics:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3981
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4347

That should get you started ;)

Next

Return to Off Topic