It's a Gnome-spiracy!

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
How are we supposed to foster a growing community by confusing visitors, locking posts, and stifling discussion? Fun and games are all fun and games until someone loses a potential fan :-(

I actually kinda agree. No offense at all to the mods and I know you guys do the best you can, you are great people and all that. But maybe tone it down just a bit? I can sort of see how you might be scaring away visitors by yelling at them to do more work before asking questions. Yes it's been difficult to be nice to everyone and help everyone, and yes there are people who just want to be mad at everything, but we have to at least try to ease them in before we unleash all the weirdness. Maybe? Please keep in mind that I am dumb and don't know anything. Fell free to rant at me. I will only feel a bit bad. :P
(Also I like the title, even though I am legally required to be extremely confused at what you sort of item you are referring to.)

Also, you know that it's in the FAQ and the DBaJ and in numerous posts, that there's a search engine that will work across the forums, the Reddit, and the wiki... to help you find your answer. The first week or so we could forgive people for asking repeat questions, not all the answers were out there.

It's now been a month (give or take) and everything you want to know about Crashlands has already been asked and we (moderators) have been TOLD by the Butterscotch Bros to stop answering every question. We got locked out that second week too, we got ordered to take a week off whether we wanted it or not, we got a lot more stressed out than the devs trying to keep up with the community.

As much as we would love to sit here and hold everyone's hands and help you through your game, we're not allowed to. It's as simple as that. This is why we have that search engine for players. This is why Discord has Juicebox, so that members who come in asking questions can use him to find answers - Juicebox who was coded by @Mr.Jpesky specifically to help when we're not suppose to. Juicebox whom he constantly works on, modifies, updates and tweaks in his own time to be more helpful than any of us could possibly ever be.

I understand that lately it might seem like we're a little harsh about some things. But it is specifically because we have been asked to stop being so damn helpful no matter how much we want to be. XD

You also have to keep in mind that as moderators we're simply fans as well, we only know about the game/s as much as we've played them and from what we've heard. Some of our knowledge comes directly from the Devs, some of it we glean from talking to each other, and a lot of it is just repeating what we've heard elsewhere in our travels too. So sometimes we're not always right, and sometimes we're a little left of completely correct, but 99% of the time we know what we're on about or at least where to find the answer.

It is very disheartening to have community members belittle (yes this has happened) and question our knowledge (also happened multiple times), when for the most part we know what we're on about. So yes, we get a little snarky when our answers (based on evidence, experience, knowledge, and direct interaction with the devs) not only gets questioned... but completely dismissed.

Had that happen to me this week and it infuriated me. Was asked a question, gave a correct response, got "ignored" and dismissed, and the same question was asked repeatedly until the Dev gave the exact same answer. As a human being, with feelings, how am I not supposed to get a little angry and upset that I was brushed off simply because my title is moderator and not dev?

All we ask is that you treat us with some basic respect, take a moment to look around and see if your question has been answered already (which in 90% of cases it has been somewhere), and then use general basic politeness if the answer isn't present. It seems that even this basic level of respect isn't afforded to us by some community members; and it's a two way street. We go above and beyond to help people who ask for it, and when we get disrespected in return you can't expect us to keep up the happy facade.

We've been given not only permission, but have been told by the Devs themselves, we're not here to take shit. If members insist on being rude and abrasive, we've got permission to delete posts, lock threads, and ban problem members. We have the DBaJ Policy in place, you agreed to it when you signed up, and we're allowed to enforce it any way we see fit. If you play nice, so do we. It's as simple as that.

We love our community, we love the members, we love the devs, and we love the games. That is the soul reason we are here. Please don't take anything we do as hate against individuals or any part of the community at large. We do as we're asked, with permission and in conjunction with Dev input, for the happiness and safety of all.

I agree with Mea completely. Especially because personally I feel as if I've been treated as the bottom of the barrel lately. Plus once again we were told to not help as many people, but still we go out of our way to. If we try and redirect you to another page it's not because we are assholes. It's because we don't feel like answering the same question for the 100th time. It's the reason the time was taken to make a custom search engine for us!. Please understand we have emotions too! We mod out of our love for the bros and out of the kindness of our hearts. We don't gain anything from this, we just hope to help the bros out. And hopeful be treated with a little respect here and there. Moving on to scaring away people. If they can't handle weird then they won't fit in here. This isn't a support group this is a community hangout place for fun games and weirdness! So if they don't like it then that sucks they are missing out! Plus they don't need to like the community to be a fan of the games. Also I will quickly use this time to correct you and just state that I have been told by Seth and Adam that there are no gnomes in the game.. So there with that being said. Everyone here is amazing and we are happy to Moderate this community.

Two things...

1) My original post is only about the gnomes. The rest of the moderation makes sense to me, especially after reading the forum rules. You're all doing a great job at what's often a thankless task, and by extension freeing up the bros to worry about other things like making great games. Thank you! Please keep doing what you're doing and don't let the jerks get you down.

2) I'll be blunt: I dislike what I'm going to call the "gnome joke". That's may seem like a personal thing and so whatever, the forum isn't here to make me happy. But I really dislike it for reasons beyond the personal. The overriding theme of the rules here is "look up the answer for yourself". I agree with that: it's frustrating and unproductive to have the same questions asked repeatedly. But when you come here curious about something, see the rules, look for an answer, and what you find is a thread in which numerous moderators are actively and purposefully providing misleading and incorrect information and then locking the thread, well, you're sending a mixed message. In at least one case on Reddit, the user there got so frustrated because he either did not understand that there was a joke or did not like feeling like the butt of the joke that he appears to have left, and probably took a bad feeling about the community with him. For what? I don't know. It's fun to have inside jokes. But when the joke makes you appear to be a jerk to an outsider, is that worth it? I think not, and that's why I dislike the gnome joke. I hope my bluntness does not make me come off as abrasive or rude, I just wanted to try to be very clear in my meaning by not mincing words since my original lighthearted attempt to broach the subject has already been misinterpreted.

I totally agree that the joke should not be at people's expense, and should never resort to rudeness. Tone is important. It's supposed to be obvious that it's a joke. When in doubt, end with a winky face!

I also agree that this is a totally separate issue from the annoyances caused by answering questions repeatedly or being under-appreciated by the community.

It's essential to remember that new people coming in don't know the history of the community, don't know the mods, and don't know the relationship between the mods and the devs (or mods and other community members). So while it's understandable to respond in a way consistent with the frustrations of the community history, that would be nothing but confusing and hostile to the new person who is unfamiliar with that history.

Unfortunately that old fiasco has created a bit of an "us vs them" mentality between the old members (and mods) and the new, which everyone just needs to be aware of and try to get past. Again, it's understandable. But we can do better.

You are correct, and I feel as if I do owe @AlanFalcon an apology for the confusion and misdirection that may have been caused by this unruly situation. If you're willing to forgive me I'd like to start over and give you a proper welcome to the community :)

Also, censoring and shutting down all discussion of the gnomes is not only hostile, it also ruins the joke because then no one can talk about it!

Refusing to acknowledge the existence of the gnomes (since they, you know, don't exist) is all we intended to do. We didn't recognize the shift in how the people inside the joke understood it, and don't blame the mods for it at all. It's our fault, and I'm sorry!

Adam don't apologize, it was more or less a getting carried away kind of thing lol!

Hah, thanks... I accept your welcome, though I'll add that I've never felt anything less than welcome here myself. But I have seen the confusion and sometimes frustration of others so I felt like I should bring it up. So no apology to me needed whatsoever. I agree it'll just be a matter of finding a way to integrate into the established community for us newcomers, and not everyone will fit in and that's to be expected and okay too. But it's hard to communicate tone on the internet sometimes, so when joking around it's extra important to be totally clear (the winky face is helpful!)

Next

Return to Off Topic