Mentor search

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
Where would one find a mentor type person to text application development/game development? I've been learning programming but don't have the skills to create my game. Anywhere I've looked online charges out the whazoo. I'm not looking for a handout, just someone that can hero by answering some questions I have.

You can look around for local game dev groups -- many cities have them!

There are a ton of online communities where you can ask questions and post your works in progress.

In all cases people will expect you to do everything you can to answer your own questions before asking others for help. That's also how you learn the most effectively.

Finding a mentor who can give you a lot of one-on-one time will be super difficult. There's a reason that typically happens in a costly, formal education system: it's SUPER expensive for the mentor (in terms of time). That doesn't mean people wouldn't be willing to do it, they'd just need a strongly compelling reason. In particular, anyone willing to put in the time would expect that you've put in WAYYYYYYYY more time.

You can learn anything on your own if you throw yourself into it. All three founders did: Adam and Seth learned programming from books and Google searches and prototyping, and Sam learned art by making it for our games.

I have done a butt ton of research myself. By mentor I mean someone that I could toss a question at and get it answered, even if on a broad scope. I love learning to code, figuring out problems, and squashing every bug I can. It would be nice, however, to know if I should keep digging for something else that could optimize my code better and make my game run better. I reckon that's what the never-ending quest for knowledge is for :bslogo:

Basically, ask in the relevant place and you should get answers (not from a precise person though).

Also, do it Bscotch Style: start simple and grow with time. Seth's code improved a lot over time in terms of optimization - and even just for Crashlands (especially when it comes to RAM usage).
So code optimization can come with practice too :)

Ok. That makes a lot more sense to use the community intelligence opposed to focusing on one specific mind. I think one of my fears is that I want it to be optimal from the beginning. I don't want to mess up anything and that's making me slower on development.

One of the most important lessons in programming (or anything, really):

NEVER PREMATURELY OPTIMIZE.

That doesn't mean write bad code, or that you shouldn't worry about optimization at all. It just means worry about that a lot less than coming up with a solution in the first place. If you have clean code, you can go back later to anything that needs to be optimized and find better solutions.

Funny thing. I was just listening to episodes 6-10 on Coffee with Butterscotch and you guys gave some advice I'll go with. "Shut up and make games!" Learn as I go. That's actually sound advice in so many other things, why would development be any different.

It isn't different ;)

I'm a programming junkie. I get such a high when building code and figuring out problems. Thank you guys for providing a community for ones like me :ugeek:

Programming is literally the best thing.

Next

Return to Off Topic