Good books?

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
GANG!
What are some good books you'd recommend everyone should read? Here are a few off the top of my head:
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield (get motivated to get shit done)The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg (learn how to rewire your brain)The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell (100 ways to think about game design from different perspectives)The Stand by Stephen King (awesome fiction)Star Force Series by B.V. Larson (light-hearted yet badass military sci-fi)Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher (easily some of the best fantasy I've ever read)Anyone have other recommendations?

BscotchSeth said:

The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell (100 ways to think about game design from different perspectives)

[/quote]
Agreed, I got that books 5 years ago, and it's really interesting to read.
To my mind, some interesting books as well :

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - book by the neurologist Oliver Sacks describing the case histories of some of his patients. Interesting and touching.Discworld - A comic fantasy book series by Terry Pratchett. Amusing.Little brother - Writen by Cory Doctorow, the book is Inspired by 1984. It's about new technology and government espionage.1984 - By George Orwell, a great book in a dysutopian world.

THIS is my all-time favorite book, ever, even though I haven't been into the game for about a decade now, I still re-read it about once a year.Although mentioned already, you should read ALL of the 40 Discworld Books by Terry Pratchett - although, if you need a place to start, Mort, Small Gods, and Guards! Guards! are great ones to start with (I'll even lend them to you, Costers, if you ask)Swords and Circuitry is a pretty neat book about designing RPGs, and many of the sections have helped with writing Aikonia.Pretty much anything by Neil deGrasse Tyson is fun, interesting, and overflowing with SCIENCE!The first few books in the Sword of Truth (Terry Goodkind) series are okay, Wizard's First Rule by itself is decent, although the story really drags on and makes no sense after the 3rd book... BUT, if you read the first few, then skip ahead to The Pillars of Creation, he does some interesting things with storytelling that is pretty cool.If you can find them in book-form, the Tintin comics still hold up and are fun and full of adventure.

GOD DANG. Going to have to expand my reading list.

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series, Douglas Adams speaks to my soul.

Try Prey by Michael Crichton

I dig big long series. Here's a few standouts.
The Black Company - The first three come in one book nowadays, those are a great read. If you want you can finish up all 8-10 books (can't remember). The series was somewhat groundbreaking in that it took fantasy and made it dark and gritty. The main guys are kind of good and kind of bad. Many shades of gray.
The Dark Tower - I know most folks didn't read this past book 1, since honestly book 1 is kind of trash, but if you get past that and continue it's worth it. It's a great series that is NOT typical fantasy/science fiction stuff. While I'm not a huge Stephen King fan I really dug this.
Hyperion - The series as a whole is okay, past the first two books it gets a little over the top, but hey, don't most series? The first two (Hyperion Cantos) are surely worth a look.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen - Basically a love letter to The Black Company, but in super epic form. Each book is over 1,000 pages paperback, and there's 10 of them. The series is good in that it stays interesting and, while it doesn't end exactly where it began, you do have the same cast plus a bunch more. One thing about Game of Thrones that irks me is that by the 4th book there's almost nobody left who was in the first book, and the story is all over the place. If you're ready to spend at least 6 months reading a series then go for it!

There's a bunch more I could list but most folks already know them like LOTR and Ender's Game and such.
Oh and if you want a short single book check out Ready Player One. It's totally geeked out but it was a fun read. The Oculus Rift and all it's home-made peripherals reminds me of this book.

DAAAAANG. Good. I love series.

Yeeah, so much new books to read !

A Song of Ice and Fire: George R.R. Martin: Epic fantasy series that is easy to get into if you can manage to keep track of many characters. No elves or gandalf here. Not that there is anything wrong with elves or gandalf.

The Dresden Files: Jim Butcher: Large Urban Fantasy series about a wizard private investigator. In a genre overflowing with female-becomes-awesome heroine-and sleeps with werewolves and vampires---this humorous, action packed, mystery filled series is a breath of fresh air.

Cirque Du Freak: Darren Shan: Young adult vampire series also fun for adults. A horrible movie adaption was made but ignore that. The books are short and fast paced. The characters are just fun. These vampires feel different for some reason.
Life Expectancy: Dean Koontz: A newborn child with a prophecy of several bad days in his future, followed by time skips to see what they are. That is a simple way of putting it, but it's a fun thriller.
Cell: Stephen King: Everyone using a cell phone is hit by this mysterious signal and becomes a zombie psycho person. A father searches for his son in this apocalyptic novel.

Next

Return to Off Topic