Good books?

Need to get something off of (or onto) your chest? Set it free!
I grew up reading all the Stephen King books. Horror (psychological or gore) doesn't bother me, bur I found most of the books I ended up losing myself in were fantasy.
The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R Lawhead is one of my all time favorites, and is based on the legend of Merlin, Arthur and the Knights. It is the most awesomely fantastical telling yet and starts a generation back with Taliesin. I NEED to acquire the last 2 books for myself and reread them all again. I borrowed them from the library (multiple times) and have yet to own my own copy of all 5. But I will. One day I will.

Beyond that I really like the D&D fantasy novels, particularly the Drizzt Do'Urden books which I actually read before I even knew the P&P existed. Didn't realise how much that actually effected my characters until I reread some of them.

Beyond that most of my stuff is murder/mystery. Patricia Cornwall is my fave author of all time, her storylines carry through multiple books but don't rely on you having read them from book one. Despite the obvious death it is neither gory, nor forensic based (you don't get lost in medical jargon or forensic theory), nor does it devolve into a written soap opera like some.

@MeaKitty? I read a good amount of the Drizzt books. They're fun reads, nothing super ground breaking in terms of writing but the stories are interesting enough to keep you hooked. Drizzt and his posse are OP though, they roll through most anything that comes their way.
@BScotchAdam yeah the first book would have been brutal to read before he finished the second book. You can't get the first book by itself as a gift to someone. My brother did that to me. Super annoying. Believe or not he never read past the first book, yet still recommended it to me and bought it for me as a gift. I'll never understand him. He named his kid Marcus Aurelius Crecelius (rhymes with my last name). He doesn't listen to music. Never bought a cd or had a favorite song/ band his whole life. Madness.

You have to admit, Marcus Aurelius Crecelius is an amazing name.

Only if it's not your child :). His next one will be Orange Julius Crecelius, or maybe Cornelius Maximus Crecelius.

I just finished five book from the Foundation Cycle by Asimov yesterday. That was AMAZING. I took 8 days to read all these five books !

@CBenoit? Ha! I stopped at 3 because I was afraid the series would get ruined after that. You recommend the last 2 as well?

Yes, I recommand it. However, yeah, there are big changes.. I found it cool, but not as cool as the original trilogy. I'm going to read the two prequels now ! :)

@Sam Since you have read the Mistborn-Series, have you read the Stormlight archive series as well?

First post on this forum but if you are interested in some books to add to your reading list I would suggest some,

The King Killer Chronicles, -Patrick Rothfuss
Book 1: The name of the wind
Book 2: The Wise Man's fear.
the slow regard of silent things
Book 3: Doors of stone (has yet to be released)

The whole Enderverse series is a bit of a variety depending on which route you take.

Mainly sciencefiction.(Ender's story)
Enders Game
Speaker for the dead
Xenocide
Children of the mind

And less sciencefiction(Bean's story)

Enders Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow puppets
Shadow of the giant.

All of these including short stories that tie in some gaps that merge both series together, written by Orson Scott Card, I do not care much for this writer but he has some good work.

OH MAN, the Ender series. I love the shit out of those books. Some of them get a little weird (particularly Xenocide) but I loved them nonetheless.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic