How much does your company name matter?

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
I just took a quick look at the titles and different pages.

First: you taught me that Mitron was actually a French word. Is that a mostly forgotten/usité word or is it region-specific?

Then:
- Personal opinion but I feel that the website is lacking some kind of identity; something that makes you, your game, your brand, stand out. Especially since your games screenshots are pretty dark, the light color background is somewhat weird in my opinion.
- Maybe the font and background colors are too close. It might be hard or tiring to read quickly.
- That "About Me" icon... I HAVE THAT HOODIE TOO! (translate: that direct reference to Bscotch won't be seen by many, but it denotes with the rest of the site and colors. This is the only place I saw/noticed such a huge contrast)
- I have an overall feeling that the site has something off, but I can't pinpoint what precisely. I feel like it's linked to the background color.

I hope this helps! :)

@Ulnarevern: Thanks for taking the time checking the site out, much appreciated - this helps!

Mitron is quite old-fashioned, but it is in the Larousse so an official french word! ;) Not sure why but this became my nickname at school, and it stuck.

Re-your comments on the site: I changed the colour scheme and the first slider now refers to my current project for consistency. I need to spend more time on the site but time is sparse at the mo, crunch time on a project at work.
Hopefully that helps with the site identity / clarity! Probably not as flashy as the present day BScotch website, but Rome wasn't built in a day.. The BScotch website is particularly sleek now, but I remember the pre-Carol days when it was a rougher diamond! ;)

The BS hoodie: that's actually the t-shirt I'm wearing! I am lucky enough to have a family friend in the US that could order & ship it to Europe, you and I are probably one of the few fans this side of the Atlantic to have some BS merch ;)

You're welcome!

I'm not sure I like the background color, but it sure fits the logo AND the screenshots ^^
Another thing is that now, the white-backgrounded things (footer, your icon and the Juicer thing) are kind of weird-looking.
Good luck on all your projets! ^^

As for the hoodie, I bought both the shirt (I'm wearing right now) and the hoodie during the first, small run, that nearly killed Tiny Little Monster XD

Hey @Ulnarevern, post-Shenanijam I took some time off from coding and gave the website / logo a bit of love.

Quite happy with the results - I think I finally got what you meant by the site lacking identity / looking off. The new bi-colour logo helped a lot with that I think. If you have a minute, let me know what you think!!!

Website moved there: https://hotchpotch.games (moved to https to get better ranking - every little helps!). New domain name is also consitent with my Twitter account @HotchPotchGames (hodge podge was taken already!)

@bscotchAdam - big shout out & respect to you for all the website stuff! Domains, redirections, SSL, 301 and all that stuff is really maddening at times!

@mitron Yes, webdev can get quite interesting! BTW, for when your SSL cert expires, check out Let's Encrypt for free, automated certs. I had to change all of ours over because my cert authority was apparently misbehaving, which caused Google to stop showing their certificates as secure in the newest Chrome update D:

I really like that new version!
If I'm trying to be really picky, the slider's screenshots colors might clash a bit with the rest of your colors, but that's to be picky. If you have someone who knows color theory around, you might try and ask them though :)

Great! Thanks both, I feel things are progressing nicely when feedback reaches pro advice :p

That free SSL sounds pretty amazing - at the moment this is handled by my webhost so I don't manage this directly, but good to know if I ever gets my hands dirty. Incidentally the SSL stuff is what made me move domain name as the cert authority didn't like my previous one. I wanted SSL to boost my SEO so this forced me to act, glad I did as the new website feels a lot more consistent.

Colours matching the website/screenshots is a tough one as ultimately the game will have several biomes & different colour palettes, so I don't expect everything to always match. If I ever meet a web designer I'll ask though! Glad you think the website looks a lot better!

Previous

Return to Game Dev