Mythological - A multi-monster survival game...

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Just look at SCS Software, they use Blender and they are very well known in simulator community. I use Blender myself and I don't give a crap about what others are saying.

Indeed. Denying a tool because of pride is moronic.

Sadly, nothing new today. My slave cylinder decided to start spewing stuff today. Didn't even get home until 10, and now my internet has died at home. (On my tablet with data atm) Had to pump my clutch to get it into gear. So, I didn't even really try today. I should get something tomorrow, but maybe not the day after as I may be fixing the slave cylinder.

Bad luck :/
On the other hand, probabilities tell that it is likely to get better!

As for the whole Blender vs Autodesk products
I personally messed a bit with Maya and 3dsMax some time ago and I preferred their UI, that I found more intuitive. In fact, I was unable to get anything done in Blender because I did not even understand how it worked.
Thing is (for professionals at least) that each Autodesk product is designed for a precise task (even if you can use each to do something else) and you can use it with together with other pieces of software (you can begin in 3dsMax for something, send it to Maya to add stuff and then use Mudbox to do the high-poly model and then use Photoshop for the textures [with real-time update or almost]) and such things.
My point is that they have features that probably don't exist in Blender. I believe Blender has advantages too (it's free to begin with) but I don't know them...

Anyway, no matter what are the advantages of each, people who hate on each other are stupid.
And this debate is the same as console vs PC. I know my side but I also know why people stay on the other side. The use is different, the public too, there's no need to hate the other one because he does not think as you do.

Don't know how it works in 3ds max, but you can change the whole Blender. You just need to learn Python. I don't know Python but I was able to remove unnecessary tools using tutorials. About the UI, I don't have problem with it, I added shortcuts to things I need and I'm good.

I absolutely don't criticize the UI I simply don't understand it.
I mean, it is like Kinyarwanda to me (language from Rwanda apparently). I don't speak Kinyarwanda.

The Blender UI is hard to understand because it's based on hotkeys (which are invisible, of course). You just need to spend some time with tutorials, but after an hour or two you'll be making stuff so dang fast your fingers will cramp and then you'll be hospitalized and probably die. It's that good.

Aaaaah. It makes sense.
Not spending my day in the hospital though. Plus I'm not doing any 3d stuff right now but I'll keep that in mind :)
It seems that Autodesk and Blender uses a completely different philosophy (and a different amount of money/development too) but each has its own public.
Same goes with Unity/Cryengine/Unreal Engine. I've never really understood how the two first work, but I was able to use UDK. There's a shoe for every foot I guess.

//Let's continue here. E

Soooo.... the past few days have been nothing being done. Slave cylinder went out in my car one day (didn't get home until late cause of it), then a migraine the next day, then replacing the slave cylinder, and then I decided my room needed to have everything moved. Also, my replacement for dropbox just isn't working (ftpbox. it likes to skip files and say that it actually updated them.), so I don't feel comfortable working on any system beside my desktop at the moment.

-_- so, not keeping well to my goal. I'll update more when more happens.

Ok, so... I've been lazy the last week or so. BUT!!!! I have stuff done tonight. Maybe not amazing stuff, but stuff none the less. What stuff you ask? Well, First I fixed a bug with picking things up. The bug was that when trying to calculate the distance from player to item to be certain you were in range (according to the server) to pick up an item, it wasn't using that player's position, but was using the server player's position. As you can see, that's obviously not a good thing. Fixed it, so BLAMMO!

Not much in the game obviously at this point, so not big on the bugs. So, I moved on to adding something. What'd I pick? Well, I decided to work on a server browser. So, now, while you can connect via ip address manually, now there is a spiffy listing of all servers. It's kind of amazing to me that this is built into unity. They host their own master server system that anyone can use, free of charge.

As the screenshot above shows, it lists a server name, ping, and player count. The ping is obviously not working (or insanely amazing). But yeah, it at least lists the server. :D

Took a little bit of effort due to making the ui, and prefabs to display the text. I also made it to where when you click on the server it connects. So, yeah, server browser pretty much done. Now I haven't tested it with more then one server. Mainly because I didn't put in a way to change the port. Since the server browser part is done, rather then having you create servers with the stuff in the top left, I'm going to have servers be launched via command line, or just have a "server build", though that would be annoying to have to keep changing things from client to server builds.

Depending on the way I do things, I may have to just do server builds though. Thinking ahead a bit, there's two ways these types of games make money. Number one being out right sales of the game, and Number two is renting out servers. The idea being that you make it where users can't directly host the game, and you make it where they can rent the servers from you, hosted through some type of virtual machine hosting service. That's thinking way way ahead though.

For the time being, I'm happy with where I got the server browser to today. Hopefully more stuff tomorrow.

I like the idea of having -1 ping... The server knows what I did even before I did it. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

PreviousNext

Return to Game Dev