Mythological - A multi-monster survival game...

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Yeah. I may just remove the ping. Don't know that there will be a need for it in the end. I have a few thoughts on it, but I'll have to do a little looking into it more.

Either way, added in a mesh (the free beta mesh from mixamo), as well as basic idle, walk, and jump animations.

Don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I also fixed a bug where you couldn't jump while standing still. Simple reason for this is I wasn't applying the jump value to the variable I was sending for input (moveDirection). So it would only send the jump data through the velocity update. This meant you could only jump while moving.

I think... it's almost time to start adding item functionality. So, attacking (both melee and ranged), consuming, crafting, etc. Animations are important, but to be honest, aren't really "required". Especially since I'll probably have to buy art and animations from someone for more advanced animations. Mixamo just seems overly expensive.

Anyway, that's it. Bug fixes and animations.

Yeah.. gameplay first, then some tuning, THEN animations.

Always start with the stuff that's easiest to change until it feels super good.

Yeah. I didn't put a ton of time into it. Being that the 3d mesh and animations were already done by mixamo, it didn't take a ton of effort. Just wanted to get past the capsule as a person stage. -_- so tired of being stuck there. Even if I weren't to finish things, I'd at least have gotten further then I have before even in that respect. One of those things of it just feels nice to visibly see progress rather then just tooting around with background things or small things that not many people appreciate.

(TL;DR The animation stuff was more for me then for actual development. :D)

Another night of not doing a ton. I did add a layer to the animation for the player to hold a hammer like object with one arm. I figure I'm going to do two animations for basic melee like objects. A one handed one for smaller objects, like small hammer, hatchets, and crowbars, and a two handed one for larger objects like sledge hammers and wood axes. Here's a little preview of the animation from first person. (a little large at 3mb for a gif, but the full quality one (which the link is for) is like 30 megs, so XD)

http://calibermengsk.com/games/unity/my ... Hammer.gif

The plus is, I can simply set the pivot points properly, and just set the parent of whatever object to a handler object for swapping out the different items, and just change the animation layer strength to switch between one and two handed objects.

Anyway, like I said, not a big update, but at least it's something. I'm going to bed now. C'yall.

LOOKIN' GOOD! I like that you appear to be a robot.

Yeah, the robot thing is a place holder. It was a free mesh to show off the animations on mixamo's site. There's a few others, but I figure a robot character is gender neutral enough that it will keep most people happy until I get character meshes for both genders.

At the moment, I not only just don't have the money to get more detailed meshes, but it's just not far enough along to worry about it. :D Might be kinda cool to have it be a post apocalyptic robot monster survival game. :P (While an interesting idea, definitely not what I'm going for.)

@caliber_mengsk Hey! Any news about your project lately?

Well, I had gotten sick for around 2-3 weeks (tonsilitus that lead to sinus infection which lead to ear infection. Didn't actually go into work for 2 full weeks.), and just haven't started back up on it. I'm again debating setting this to the side being such a large project, and trying to work on a small project to just get something done. -_- I don't know.

Right now though (the last week and a half) my spare time is being taken up by a 3d printer that I bought that doesn't want to work. Last night I finally gave in and exchanged it. One of the stepper motors was slipping in the end and there's no way to repair that, and I'm not going to pay microcenter $45 for a new stepper motor, especially when the specs don't match up.

That all said, the reason for buying the 3d printer is to get back to working on my VR glove. I really need to finish that. That one could be a game changer for the vr world. (an oculus rift of vr gloves. Cheap yet awesome.) If you haven't seen my glove, here's a video that probably shows it off the best https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMh7GttqXY and here is the last video I made for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmXeFKzs-HQ . At this point I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Well, for game dev, I believe Adam, Seth and Sam will agree: starting small can be a good idea.
Plus if your glove is your main project, having another big project might just delay both or lead to you abandoning them.
But it's up to you! (I'm not really the good one to give lessons or what)

EDIT: DAMN! I thought of it so much that I didn't mention that the glove ROCKS!

That glove is INSANE.

What is your projected finish date? And when done, what do you do with it?

PreviousNext

Return to Game Dev