Baconweed Fairy Art Timelapse

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Heyo!

Check out the 5x speed timelapse of the Baconweed fairy's creation and then slam your questions or comments into this thread. I'll be popping in during the day!

This thing is CREEPY.
NICE JOB!

What does the BWF looks like without the outline? I'm curious.

Very cool to see the changes you make as you make them. I didn't realize I had the volume on my phone turned all the way down then turned it up halfway through because I got an email. It was cool to hear Sam's narration of the drawing process.

Thank you so much for posting this. This is one of the many reasons why I love Butterscotch Shenanigans.

@Ulnarevern A bit like CRAP! Heh. But seriously, like this:

@Fweebers Glad you like it! I try to make them useful for people who want to inkscape, so the narration gives them more purpose than just being something that's mildly interesting.

Caught this on facebook a little while ago. I'd actually be interested to see how you animate your sprites. Is that done in Inkscape or in something else? Can we get a video of that too?

@Bscotchsam This looks nice but the outline just makes the bscotchy feeling apparently!
It's also less creepy and almost... kinda babylike maybe?

@MeaKitty They did it more or less by hand before, and now they use Spine, if I followed correctly (I guess they talked about it in a podcast where they talked about Spine)

HOWEVER! For animation stuff @CBenoit told me about 2d game art in which the man makes tutorials about animation.
He uses Inkscape and draws funny characters but I think you can follow his method of animation for close to any character. Just use layers or something if you're not doing vector drawing ^^

@Meakitty the animation actually happens kind of between Seth and I. After diving into spine for the baconweed fairy we decided it added too much to the animation pipeline and wasn't actually saving us time, so we've gone back to our usual mode, at least for finishing up Crashlands.

Basically, you can think of each of the creatures/bosses in the game as a little machine or toy. I give Seth the various parts and then tell him what they need to be doing at any given point. He then goes in, assembles the toy, and then moves it according to the direction given and his own whims, until we get something that feels lively. So I don't actually animate, Seth does!

I'd still be interested in seeing a video of it with voice over like you do with the art. Really more curious to see how it happens, not looking for a video tutorial or something.

It's pretty mundane. He exports all the pieces, then I import them and stare at code for a couple hours. Then, BOOM! It's animated!

Just by staring? Need that eye power!

Next

Return to Game Dev