Laptop and software

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
What kind of laptop and software is good to use for game developing.

Depends what kind of game you want to make, and what platforms you want to make it for. If you want to make iTunes or Mac games you will probably need access to a Mac, since you have to eventually compile the final product on a Mac. If you want to make 3D games with fancy graphics, you'll need a much more powerful computer than for making 2D games with cartoon graphics.

We use Windows and Gamemaker Studio to make 2D cartoon games, and for that even pretty weak laptops will work fine. You'll of course see worse performance when loading, saving, or compiling big projects, but it's no big deal. We also have an old Mac Mini since it was the cheapest Apple hardware we could find. We use this to build for iTunes and Mac, though all the programming is done on Windows (Gamemaker is Windows-only).

Some programming environments are more cross-platform, and others are specific to Mac instead of Windows.

So: it just depends on what you're trying to do!

Also, sticky topic here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=874 should already have most of the answers :)

Thank didn't noticed.

Do u think 8gb of ram is enough?
http://www.bol.com/nl/p/medion-akoya-p5118-d-desktop/9200000046295781/
You think this will do it?!
Last edited by LittleGamer on 03 Jan 2016 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Depends on what you want to do with it.
For 2D game dev, it is WAY more than enough. What you may want is a good processor though, for I think it's what is used during compilation.

However, I'd not say the same thing if you want to play some recent games too ;)

Well yes also maybe some gaming here and there.

What kind of gaming and what kind of budget?
You can PM me, I think it's going off topic

Well my only problem is the money, I would like to play an game but I also don't want an 1000 euro rip off.

Desktop it is then!

Next

Return to Game Dev