[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - How to monetize on android.

How to monetize on android.

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Hey guys, dont know if you remember me, you guys mentored my group some time ago. I'm getting very close to releasing an android game, and was curious about monetization.

Do you recomend charttboost, or admob for ads, or some other way of monetizing? Any insight would be great! Thanks guys! Crash lands looks awesome by the way.

From what I recall from everywhere in the Bscotch sites:
- NO pay up front if you dont have a fan base
- Ads can be used BUT it's not bringing a lot of money (like, no money)and must be used really smartly (otherwise people will just uninstall ypur game)
- F2P is usually the way to go BUT you need to avoid P2W (because people will just bash you)
- The "Free-to-try" model from the bros seems to be the fairest/best to me: enjoyable game for free with some ads, EVEN BETTER game if you pay

However, remember that it's kind of important to have an idea of what business model you want before making your game, so you can adapt it. Also, the bros usually repeat that you should not post your first game, because it's usually lacking polishing.

Hope this helps! :)

I'm going to go with ads. Do you guys know if charttboost or admob is better?

Hard to say, especially because ad companies will do various kinds of time-sensitive promotions, and sometimes negotiate better deals with specific studios.

We used to be only on Admob, but now use AppLovin on Google Play and Admob on iTunes. The AppLovin ads are getting pretty intrusive, but they do pay out a lot better. They don't have a public SDK for Gamemaker, but they have made one so you could potentially contact them directly to negotiate with them.

Thanks for the input. I'm going with chartboost, interstitial ads, and reward video ads. And, as you suggested, a paysystem to remove ads feature. I'll link the game when it's live.

Was supposed to be a little game, ended up turning into a 2 month project. Most of my time has been spent optimizing for mobile, I'm not used to app development on phones.

Do you guys run into sound issues on android on some devices? Caching sounds works very poorly on s6 devices for me, some sounds get skipped consistently. I had to load every sound when it's called, which causes fps drops if you get too many back to back.

Anyway, keep on keeping on guys. I might come into town for drinks again soon, those meet ups are always fun. Cheers!

How big of a deal is Facebook integration for getting more users, do you guys think?

Depends on what you do with that integration. Compelling social features can be extremely powerful.

I just want to let people post about how far they got, and if they do link more people to my app.

From what we've seen, people tend to use those types of features at something like a 0.5% rate or lower. Probably not worth it!

Next

Return to Game Dev