How to monetize on android.

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Well, it's finally done. Space Monkeys is live! I would love it if you guys could take a look at it, and if you are feeling generous, give it a nice rating. :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... acemonkeys

Any suggestions on how I can get this thing out to the public? I've hit up reddit, voat, and various facebook pages. I'm going to port it to HTML5 with a link to the android store on it as well, and paste it on every free gamesite I can find.

Cheers guys!

Put a trailer up! People can't make a download decision based on screenshots alone!

@almightyzentaco Congratulations! You didn't say you were looking for feedback, so I'll only say one thing: add Juice to your game whenever you can. I gave it a quick play, and found the interface confusing because I was never sure if my button presses were being registered.

In addition, having even just a little bit of movement in every static scene, and blinking for your characters, adds a ridiculous amount of goodness to how a game feels. It adds life, and therefore helps to immerse the player and make them feel joyful about the experience.

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. I will try to add the juice, as you suggested. Do you think having buttons go down, and adding sounds for presses would add enough juice?

I'm going to get cracking on that video. I really want people to try my game out. Thanks again guys!

One last question and then I'm out of your hair. :D
Do you guys have any good resources on how to move and transform objects on a curve, like in that juicy video? I never learned calc.

I noticed your games all have nice bounce effects, smooth transitions, objects that expand and contract smoothly ect. I would like to learn to do the same.
Last edited by bscotchAdam on 17 Feb 2016 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined with double-post. NAUGHTY.

@bscotchseth doesn't use any fancy math either. It's all about TWEENING. He has a script that he uses to add that bouncy effect to nearly every damn thing that moves in our games. Perhaps he'll share the idea if he gets the chance.

YEP. The one and only tween script we currently use is the simple one they showed in the video.

current += (target - current) * .1

Change the ".1" to whatever you want. You can use this to add smooth scaling to things, button clicks, movement, animations, etc... This is the script that animates Flux's limbs, all the buttons in Crashlands, Wompit ears, Zug heads, Tartil eyes, blah blah blah... basically everything. It's just smoooooth.

Oh also I performed a quick search in the Play store and it seems there are already a whole bunch of games with the same name (or similar ones), so... It may be hard to find your game.

Also, I couldn't play it because not compatible with my device (Xperia U 2.3.7 so that's okay)

Previous

Return to Game Dev