Decided to learn game maker last weekend.

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
**Note: video below

Not really a specific reason to, but I decided to learn a bit of game maker over the last weekend. Not a complete game by any means, but I was using the template of crashlands and/or don't starve as the basis for things. So... Where did I get?

Procedural random generation for ground tiles and trees.
A hex grid system for said tiles/trees.
Basic player movement.
Player following object (shown in video when bunny turns from brown to purple it's targeting a tree).
A working game console. (Works with only a few commands, shown in video)
Generating and Destroying the world outside of the "view" (in the video's case, it's 3 tiles inside of the view as the "view" so you can actually see the world being destroyed and created while moving around. This also is probably highly inefficient as it doesn't store ANYTHING. So even if you could cut down trees, it wouldn't save that info. Past that, it'd probably be very slow on mobile that way.)

Not to bad for a weekend with knowing nothing of the thing before hand. There is an issue though after you get around 7,000 pixels out, it starts to get slow, so I'm guessing this is an issue with game maker's room system not liking being that large, but meh. Being that I'd eventually want to save it all into chunks, it's not a massive deal. I'd just offset everything every 32 tiles (saying that chunks would be 32x32 tiles) and keep moving the player back to with that range. Something like that anyway.... if that made.... sense.

Anyway, here's the video of the weekend's progress in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPJZwToNssw

Don't know what I'm going to do with it, if I even continue with it. Was a good learning experience. Might do something with it... might not. May just put the project up on here if someone asks nicely. (:P too lazy otherwise)

The beauty of GameMaker: SPEEEEEED

Well, that and I pick things up really fast, and having a ton of experience in unity, as well as other scripting languages that are similar. If I were to try to do the same thing in unity, it'd probably have been as far as the game maker stuff in just friday. I spent way way waaaaaaaaay to long to figure out a null check for an object is checking if it's Noone instead of null. T_T scripting languages that don't follow standards. T_T (seriously... spent hours searching the web to find that little snippet)

Gamemaker doesn't follow ANY standards. Good luck! ;)

COOOOOOOOOL! Keep us posted if you do more!

Return to Game Dev