Your Favorite Game Design Articles?

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
By far my favorite game design articles have been these: "Bad Designer, No Twinkie!" articles by Ernest Adams:

http://www.designersnotebook.com/Design ... tabase.htm

Do you have any game design articles that you find particularly well thought out or well written?

OOOOH. Going to read this!

Definitely going to check out those!

For me, it's Defender's Quest solution to mismatches between story and mechanics.

There's more, but I can't recall right now.

Never heard of Defender's Quest, but I dig the article! Thanks for sharing. It's near to see how following this simple logic train avoids so many twinkie denial conditions by default.

Defender's Quest II looks pretty sweet, too.

It's not an article, but the Game Maker's Toolkit youtube channel covers some really interesting topics within game design.

@AlanFalcon No wonder! Look at the bottom of the XIII list: Lars Doucet is the developer behind Defender's Quest.

I fully recommend it, as it is an ingenious way of mixing TD with RPG-like story and progression. There's a developer play on Youtube into which he plays with the story writer (also depicted in the article). They highlight many of the design/story decisions as they pass through the game. Lots of spoilers though!

There's a flash demo on Kongregate, and, by the end of it, you can export the savefile to use on the full game.

I agree about the sequel! The soundtrack will be even better with Nobuo Uematsu participation.

I am almost finishing the articles. They are very good and still up-to-date, unfortunately.

@NirnaethArnediad - That's hilarious! I guess this Game Dev community that sometimes seems so large really is just a tight knit little group after all. At least, the ones who are doing things right are!

I also agree how sad it is that some of the problems he's writing about in 2002 are still problems in games in 2016.

Along the same lines as as Game Maker's Toolkit, there's Extra Credits, which now has several regular shows related to game design.

Return to Game Dev