Marketing a Game - Looking for Input

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Part of development is publishing your game and getting people to play it. Unfortunately, this is a large task and is very difficult without marketing knowledge. There are a few articles/videos out there about low to no cost indie marketing that give some good basic guidelines, but keeping motivated when time is very limited to put towards marketing is difficult when low to no results are visible or present. I'm wondering if anybody has had any success, if even just marginal, when releasing and marketing their game.

From what I gather, some good practice is to keep an updated website, blog, portfolio, twitter, facebook, and posting to small relevant sub-reddits, which are all things that I personally do. The trick is to get people interested in what you have. People seem to like visually stimulating things. GIFs and videos of gameplay or progress seem to draw more attention. What more can be done to get eyes on a developer's product? What are some good ways to get a little spark kindled that shows some results? What are some things that you guys do to get people hyped?

BEWARE: I'm a young guy who knows nothing. So don't take anything for an universal truth! It's just one opinion.

Well, Bscotch Bros "kind of" succeed doing that! ^^

Having like 654 places to check helps you reach more people, but I'm not sure that they would be interested people. IE Facebook is good to get a few likes, but from 2 or 3 examples I saw (so not an absolute reality, and not game-related), promoting stuff on Facebook does not work that much.

Website/Blog/portfolio could/should be put under one single website in my opinion, for people I don't think people will check each separately! (take a glance at Bscotch main site).

If you're making games, work on your game. People's attention span is pretty short and making progress gif and vids will probably be mostly limited to people who already follow you.

If you want some people to notice, go on the places where people would be interested by your game (specialized websites), poke a lot and lot of press people and harass them à la Sam.

However, you'll have to find time to promote your work if you lack money. It's one or the other, but you can't do with nothing! :/
However, consider the time you spend on updating your stuff, and you should find some time to send mails and stuff to press people!

That's all I can think of. I hope this helps! :)

The first and most important step of marketing is having a product that other people can really easily get excited about. What's your game, and what makes it special?

My game (Dess M-8) is an easy to play hard to master mobile arcade style shooter with a heavy puzzle element. The controls are very tight and the skill cap is high.

I originally made the game just to have for myself to play on my phone so marketing it was an afterthought. I have a trailer that I made for it, but I'm not sure the etiquette for posting links for stuff like that. I'm not trying to sell my game here or anything. I'm just interested in learning how to sell it to people that want to buy it. Or making them want to buy it I suppose. If you want to critique the trailer or even the game, I'd be happy to send a link to either of them.

Yeah, show the game!

Mmh. Personal opinion here:
- The trailer is short and somewhat catchy and intriguing, that's pretty good
- Voice is too distorted for me (non native) to understand everything properly and not really pleasing to hear in my opinion
- I think I understood the concept of the game, but I didn't understand the details of it
- Maybe the upgrade image changes too fast, I couldn't see what it was about

- Where can we get it?

Yeah, I get the voice issue. I added closed caption to help with that. The trailer was thrown together rather speedily for an event. I will re-record the voiceover soon.
The game is available at Doombrowski.com, Google Play, Amazon Apps, and itch.io. I really should put some dominant logos on the splash screen at the end of the trailer. If any butterscotch fans here would like a free copy of the game, I will happily give a Google Play promo code to you so you can check it out. It's ad free. :)

Here's the new trailer with updated voiceover and splash screen information

I'm no game dev yet, so no solid experience. I found this GDC talk interesting in this regard: http://gdcvault.com/play/1023322/Everyone-Can-Do-PR-The

One recurring thing I've noticed though: you are a bit late on it since it already launched. Launch day seems to be the point in time into which you get most of the attention everywhere (reviews, forums, store fronts). Even Crashlands didn't do that much better after QoL patch, with store features everywhere, news on gaming sites and a super duper trailer to accompany (more info on the podcast). So don't feel down if your current efforts on PR don't seem to make much difference: that's the norm.

And most important: don't trust anyone. There's a lot of depressing stuff everywhere (Gamasutra and GDC especially), and people trying to find solutions to previous failures, but YMMV, so figure out what works best for you.

Good luck!

The release day blue balls is a strange phenomena. It sounds like people only want something because they can't have it. It doesn't make sense from a buyer's perspective. The games that I have purchased have seldom been at release. Most people don't buy games on release day. I suppose the people that are looking to market the news of a game would only be interested in something new since there would be less competition for exposure.

Is it maybe that beyond release, games are generally left to word of mouth?

Next

Return to Game Dev