[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - Made a Game, Here are Thoughts

Made a Game, Here are Thoughts

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
So, I made a game in Gamemaker for this game jam called Wizard Jam 2016. It was a two week jam in which everybody made a game based on an Idle Thumbs podcast episode title. I chose Zombie Train Beyond Earth.

Now that the jam has officially ended, it's a bit weird for me. I have bugs I need to fix and I need to add in sound and the extra things I didn't get to in the two weeks. I also know I should focus on something else for a bit, to relax my brain, but there is an urge to keep tweaking the game.

I'm not sure if I should keep working on the game, it's not broken if you play it right, but since it's a story based game, things can get messed up if you don't do stuff in the right order. It also is a jam game, and I don't really have a plan to sell it or anything. It will also be a pain to fix my hastily put together code, but it will be easier now, when everything is fresh, then fixing it later. I also worry that it's not a good enough game to put too much effort into.

Game dev is a strange experience. I like making something, but I know I will never be satisfied with my work.

And here's the link if you want to play the game. Let me know your thoughts if you want.
https://kevin888.itch.io/zombie-train-b ... -episode-i

It's generally a good idea to treat these things as prototypes; you'll learn more by completing a new project that stretches your skills further.

As far as that game went, it was fun. I just .

Actually...I did make walking left and right, but then I changed it to moonwalking cause I thought it was funny. Walking normally does work, I just have to flip one variable in the code. I'm a dumb person and bad at prioritizing.
I agree I over scoped for a game jam. I could have spent more time on fixing bugs and polish probably.
Thanks for the comments Seth!

Return to Game Dev