QTC (Puzzle Game in Development)

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
I thought I'd share a mockup screenshot of my new game-in-development, code named "QTC" (Quantum Traffic Control):

Obviously there's a lot going on in this screenshot, and I'm sure nothing makes sense. This is actually one of the latest levels in the game (level 219 of 240 if all goes according to plan.) Without any actual explanation, I'd love any feedback about whether this kind of screenshot would make you want to find out more, scare you away, bore you, or what. Also I know that the Bros have mentioned that they can usually just glace at the screenshots on Steam Greenlight and know if a project is going to find success or not: I'm curious if you'd look at this screenshot and give it the thumbs up or thumbs down - and what might be done to improve that overall first impression. [Obviously this is a mobile game, NOT a Steam game -- so I mean in a general sense, not specifically Steam Greenlight!]

Thanks! If it's okay with the Bros, I'd like to continue to share updates as I get development of this game off the ground. The concepts and gameplay are nailed down, and I've been focusing recently on the interface and interaction models so that's what I'm sharing here. Then it's a matter of finishing up some new levels and getting the whole thing programmed in its final form...

So long as the focus of your posts is on development, and not trying to build a fan base, you're welcome to keep posting. Keep them all in one continuous thread, if you can.

As for the glance: as an ignorant user I can't get a sense of what's going on based on he screenshot. Am I one of the shapes? If so, which? Is this a puzzle game or an action game? What does gameplay LOOK like? More importantly, what does it FEEL like? You get the idea. Instead of wanting to find out more, I'm simply confused.

Less importantly, why not a good, nerdy 256 levels? ;)

Neither I don't understand what's going on. But I like colours and clean interface. And visual experience is really important to me when it comes to games. I would probably give it a try.

I don't understand what's going on either.
Kind of the same as Tofos, except that I feel like the squares and triangles look kind of out of place, I do'nt know why.

Thanks for the feedback guys! It's definitely nice to get some fresh eyes and thoughts. Communicating how this game works and feels in screenshots is definitely a tough sale; I feel like I'm going to have to rely heavily on the video preview feature on the App Store and hope people give that a click (I love how the game looks in action!)

@Ulnarevern I think you have a good point about the squares and triangles... they feel a generation behind the other graphics at this point, and probably need to be rejiggered again. Thanks for pointing it out, it can be hard to see when you're too close to everything!

@bscotchAdam 256 levels was at one point my goal, and that kind of got lost in the transition to the current level-grid system (partly because my collaborator thought it would be too esoteric to be worth forcing that number) - but I might see if I can fit in 16 bonus levels because I still like the idea :-)

What are you programming in?

I've strongly considered Game Maker, but I'm overall more familiar with Corona SDK and that recently went completely free (which fits my budget just right!) so I decided to use Corona SDK to develop the game. That SDK has an IDE that uses Sublime Text and the language is Lua, which I find super simple and smart and intuitive. My only worry is that since the version of Corona SDK I'm using is free there may not be as much incentive for the developers to support it as well as Game Maker, but it's pretty mature and fully featured already so hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

Return to Game Dev