Started Game Maker - Optimization for Mobile?

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Hey guys, I've recently moved on to Game Maker since it seems to have so much more control and power than Clickteam Fusion.

I've already got the makings of a really smooth platformer going.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing mobile development and that seems to be your forte, so I was curious if you have any pointers for optimizing for phones? Anything you know now that you wish you knew when you started? Any secret magickal arts to keep phone games running smoothly and effeciently? Fusion had lots of eccentricities when it came to android development, and I'm hoping to avoid pitfalls.

Thanks for your time guys! Also congrats on the new team members.

-Joshua
https://www.youtube.com/user/almightyzentaco/videos

I think that the "Everything that is not on screen does not exists" is a good start.
Apart from that, experience probably? So you know where to optimize your code ^^

What these guys said! Minimize your draw calls and number of instances spawned, and you're good to go.

Thanks for the advice!

You don't happen to know if it's possible to flash a sprite a different color without using shaders do you? I'd prefer to do it as processor light as possible, but if a shader is the only way to flash a sprite color I'll learn it.

I tried blend but it didn't give me a very good effect.

Do shaders strongly effect performance in mobile devices, to your knowledge?

Blending only darkens stuff. If you want to avoid shaders, you can try something like redrawing the sprite additively on top of itself using draw_set_blend_mode(bm_add). Just make sure you set the blend mode back to normal afterwards!

Return to Game Dev