Making a Top Down Runner

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Hello everyone!

One more month until I leave my day job and get to put some full time work into my game dev dream.

I've been plugging away at tutorials, help guides, etc and decided to take on my first game project. I figured I'd start out with an endless runner as it would take minimal art assets and allow for a quicker(ish?) development as my first try. I want to keep the scope small and put at as many games as I can in a short period of time to learn from my mistakes.

As it stands, the game concept is a cat all hopped up on catnip and the gameplay takes place in this wonky dream world after he falls asleep. I'm going to get started on some art when I get home and will update this thread as I move forward.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, questions, concerns or solid knock knock jokes.

Good luck!

Endless runners are a great place to start as a small title. They tend to be fun very quickly, so the difficulty beyond that is in learning how the market works and how to approach the launch in a unique way.

Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes guys!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to program this but used the Freeway Mutant Runner code I got in the Humble Bundle to test my art on.

My observations so far:
- Animating a cat from behind is tough.
- Sam is an Inkscape wizard and I need to keep practicing.
- Seth is very good at programming and I am learning a lot from studying this Gamemaker project. It took me a while to figure out the "legforward" thing you've got going to trigger the animation but feel like I'm learning more and more as I go.

Anyhoo, I thought you might get a laugh out of what I have so far (don't stare at it too long though, the colours are pretty jarring):

Have a good one!

Ha! Awesome dude. Yeah, getting the bounce of your cat to sync with its run animation is important.

For tricky animations it's good to find a reference. Try this for the kitty legs when it's running away: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3379/4619 ... 8431_z.jpg

I found it by googling "CAT RUNNING AWAY". Heh.

Dang, why didn't I think of that!? I searched all kinds of things (even "cat butt") to find something from that angle. Thanks for that Sam :highfive:

I don't know how the source code looks like, but know that Seth progressed a lot through his programming endeavours, so it might not be optimized to the max. But Seth could confirm or deny that.

Good luck on your project!

Yeah, Freeway Mutant was a 10-hour project from 2014, so it's bound to have a lot of.. uh... UNOPTIMIZED CODE.

Haha, I was mainly curious to see how you went about spawning the tiles, enemies and such. It goes to show my current programming prowess that I don't know unoptimized code when it's under my nose.

That being said, breaking apart all the different source code from the Humble Bundle is helping me wrap my head around all this programming madness. I had to dedicate this weekend to hockey related T-shirt designs but should get some more work done tonight.

Return to Game Dev