Game Maker Studio, DirectX Runtime and Steam

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you use shaders or surfaces that require the Direct X Runtime (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... aspx?id=35) on Windows PCs.

If so, how do you place your game into the Steam repository so that players do not have to download and install the Runtime themselves?

If you place a Game Maker executable installer onto the Steam repository, do players have to run that every time they wish to play the game even after the first install?

Right now we use the .zip output on our own game but players have to find and download the Runtime themselves when they get a crash which is annoying.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace

In Steam's app options you can have it automatically include DirectX if the user doesn't already have it. I can't remember exactly where that option is, but it wasn't too hard to find originally!

As far as uploading the game goes, we follow GameMaker's online documentation pretty much exactly.

Hey Adam,

Awesome thanks. We did try that Direct X inclusion but it didn't work for us. Actually gave some players issues that prevented them from installing the game all up so we aren't using it. I can try it again though.

But if you don't mind me asking, which online documentation are you talking about?

And do you upload your game to steam as the files in the .zip export or as an installer?

Thanks!
Dan Fornace

Return to Game Dev