2D Game Dev: Tools for Getting Started

Talk about anything and everything game dev-related here!
On Steam there are about twenty different versions of Gamer Maker. I believe you can at least develop for android with the basic one.

Here is what Steam has to say about the different versions.

GameMaker: Studio is the perfect tool to develop casual and social games for iOS, Android, desktop and the web.

GameMaker: Studio™ Android

GameMaker: Studio™ makes it easy to develop for Android by streamlining the process of ensuring your app's compatibility with the different hardware and screen resolutions across the entire range of Android handsets, tablets and other devices.

GameMaker Studio Android is $300, while GameMaker: Studio Professional is only $99.

I was just curious if spending $300 was advised. :lol:

Thanks for the speedy response.

Ah, on that I have no idea. We bought our licenses through the YoYo games site, where they sell Studio and then separately the Studio-dependent Android, iOS, etc extensions. Maybe @bscotchseth has an answer for you.

The $300 simply allows you to export to Android. You can still develop the game without that $300 module, but you'd just be testing it on your PC!

Can you update your first post with other tools as well. I'd be interested in knowing of any other fancy tool happen's out there on the interwebs I've never had my eyeballs opened to.

Example is Workflowy, which I heard ya'll mention on the podcast.

Beeeesqqquuaawwkkk!

Ah, you mean project management software? That's a WHOLE 'NOTHER CAN OF WORMS!

I have been creating games for a while now and started playing quadropus rampage, I know that you made it with GameMaker and I wanted to know how you did all the different weapons were they all separate parts and objects, did you use Spine? Because I just recently bought Spine and learned that you can attach sprites and images. Also I saw that you use Inkscape for art! It's a great tool and you guys have already tought me so much about making games. Thanks :)

They never used Spine.
As far as I remember, Seth hardcoded all the animation through the magic of maths and code until now.
They considered using Spine near the end of Crashlands' development but it was too advanced to be of any use
For the next games, Seth's working on a procedural animation tool :)

I'm surprised at how accessible GameMaker is. I'm not necessarily interested in games programming as a career, but I'd love to do it as a hobby and see where it takes me.

The artistic side seems a little overwhelming, though - I admittedly don't have much talent when it comes to art.

Nobody just has talent, you gotta work for it ;)

I've been working on a top-down game in GameMaker:Studio and I've been trying to figure out how you guys did all of the different angles of the character in quadropus rampage. I was wondering if you guys could help me out or give me any tips on coding that for a mobile device.

Previous

Return to Game Dev