[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - The Crashlands Creator

The Crashlands Creator

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
Since we announced the Crashlands Creator on today's podcast (Episode 5), I figured I should make an official thread on the topic. Ask questions and discuss here!

Edit: I made a developer preview video, now up on Youtube. Check it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-craU5R7efs

Edit2: The next developer video, and accompanying blog post, is now up:
http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2015/07/telling-stories-in-crashlands.html
Last edited by bscotchAdam on 17 Jul 2015 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to Developer Preview video

Will playing those campaigns work on all platforms?

Yep! You'll have to own the game on each platform, of course, but campaigns will be platform-independent.

Daaaaaamn that's some awesome stuff!
However isn't it a risk that people will use it to buff themselves so the game will get too easy?
I did that on Neverwinter Nights after my first game.

Actually I was just going to ask about that myself. Do the user-created levels become separate to your main (vanilla) questing? Or do you get the one character across all levels? OR is that up to the level creator whether you can use (import/export) your main Flux?

Also, with the ability to create NPCs for quests, will it be limited to only the three main races? Are there plans to make more, or at least to let users create more? Can we use "mobs" to direct quests, or will they be randomly generated only?

Great questions! I'll answer a few of the key ones here.

Player-created campaigns will be totally separate from the official campaign, and separate from each other (campaigns cannot be combined). Perks will only be unlockable through our campaign, though we may let campaign designers use Perk unlocks as quest triggers.

We thought about allowing the creation of entirely new races, but the creates a lot of logistical headaches. Right now, every asset a player needs is in the game, and so is guaranteed to be there. Once those assets are being downloaded from the web we have to worry about a lot of versioning (and bandwidth) issues. New-race creation isn't completely off the table yet. There will be other, Perk-specific characters that we'll be using, but I'm not sure if/how players will have access to those.

Finally, the issue of people ruining their own gaming experience, by giving themselves the best gear right away etc, is mostly mitigated by separation of campaigns. Player can choose to have a less awesome gaming experience, but we'll leave that up to them!

This won't be the type of 'modding' tool that lets people change and add anything to the game. It will be a lot more about story creation and gentle manipulation of game content that already exists. Once we get to the point where we're using it (and after I've dressed it up a little to go from purely functional to also nice looking) I'll put a video demo up that should clarify everything.

Ok, so wait and see the awesomeness coming (for us) :)

Does the player have to play as Flux, or could the campaign set the player's character as a Brubus, for example, and have quests that kinda simulate the goal of reaching the Highest Pecker status? I think it would be interesting to play as a member of one of the different races. Perhaps you guys could have some 'official' campaigns like this that really flesh out the lore of each of the races.

Cool idea! But NOPE, that would be basically impossible since all of the armor and weapons were designed to exactly fit on Flux.

It won't be necessary though, since the campaign editor system is super flexible and robust, so you can make extensive stories that Flux will be involved in, even mostly about other races, without having to use them as protagonists.

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion