[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - Crashlands Beta selection criteria

Crashlands Beta selection criteria

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
So I couldn't help but notice on that blog post about the living beta time line that #16 is already completed.........dont suppose you guys wanna clue in to how you're planning on choosing the peeps for beta testing? :D @bscotchseth @bscotchsam @bscotchAdam cause if you just need to be in the top percent of playtime or completed every perk or something along those lines, got a little bit o work to do :cry:
Last edited by bscotchAdam on 04 Nov 2015 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity

@Allenmb Some of it we'll keep secret, and the exact ranking system is TBD (will probably stay secret). But the things we'll consider in ROUGH order of importance are:

1. Involvement with the community. We can only measure this by forum posts and podcast questions.
2. Support for our studio. We measure this through verified purchases tied to your BscotchID.
3. Love for our games. We measure this through recorded playtime across our other games (note that only ButteredUp accounts have permanent records of playtime).

The system will be binned pretty coarsely and far less than linearly, so playing a jillion hours won't rank you much higher than playing a grillion (arbitrary times used, to make the point), and posting a thousand times won't do much more than posting a hundred.

Hope that helps ;)

Can one have a have a hundred percent chance or does it cap at any percentage? If it doesn't cap would it be hard for your dedicated fans to reach that 100% or to be at least close to it?

There isn't really a percent chance associated with it. We'll just rank everyone according to some formula based on those metrics, then take as many as we need from the top. Given how many testers we think we need, and given that our dedicated fans will be at the top of that list, there's a pretty dang good liklihood.

So it's a ranking based system and not a luck based one, which I totally prefer :D

Yep, ranking followed by luck since there will be a cap for how many people will let in.

Last time I checked, we had about 2000 applicants. Which is awesome. But only 550 BSIDs are even on the forums, and the vast majority of those have posted 0 or 1 times and not posted a question to the podcast (and didn't apply for the beta!). And only about 1/3 of Bscotches own any of our games (which is still a good number, but the vast majority of those don't participate in the community).

So the number of people who satisfy all of the criteria to any degree isn't that large (though it probably is similar to the number of testers we're looking for, meaning no guarantees).

I think it's good that you do it that way. You know that if the person cares and puts time into the forums and games, they care. As opposed to a random person that might not try and you get poor or no feedback. You also said that the alpha testers weren't in for sure but from the looks of it it will be a similar crowd.

@Duh83 Yeah, it's pretty clear that most of the people who want in on this are thinking of it like Early Access, not like a beta test.

To me the difference is that Early Access is mostly about the players and the developers, so that players can build hype about the game while the developers get a lot of feedback, a chance to build community, and not go bankrupt before launch.

A beta test is all about the GAME, not the players or the developers, and making sure the game is as good as possible before it goes live. Beta testing a game is VERY DIFFERENT from just playing it and maybe providing feedback (as in Early Access). The whole point is to get lots of technical feedback from a restricted audience whose primary goal is to see the game succeed.

So, yeah. We figure his ranking system selects for those people who truly want Crashlands and our studio to be a success, not just those who want a chance to play it early or for free.

This is certainly the best way to do it :)

By the way, I remember that your tutorial/explanations of how to do testing and to report feedback was already great for the alpha (as a guy who never tested anything before) and it was also pretty clear on the GOALS of the alpha.
Let's just hope selected people will read and apply all this, but I guess they will :)

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion