Crashlands Without Steam

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
Hi there,

Your game looks really fun and I'm very interested in purchasing it. However, I have strong opinions regarding DRM and the Steam platform and I don't buy any game that is Steam only. Will Crashlands ever be available without Steam? (perhaps GOG or Desura?)

Thanks! :)

Hi! :)

Mmh... I don't think so. I tried negociating for GoG (because I do share your beliefs, even though I'm more against Steam Supremacy than just DRM) but SADLY, some systems of the BscotchID would break the "No-DRM" rules of GoG or something like that. I don't know enough about Desura though
Maybe with the recent changes regarding perks and all they could reconsider after launch?

The advantage of going on Steam is that 99% of the gamer are on it. And staying on Steam also limits the spread (because if it works well on launch, many people will see it, but if it's on a few markets, it'd be lessened) and bother (updating each version separately).
However, as mentioned before, the recent/coming changes to the BSID system may make Crashlands eligible for GoG and would give the game a second youth if they submit it a few months after. I wonder what the bros thing of it.

Also, it's available on mobile, so it's not Steam-only? ^^
I personally chose to be flexible. The game and supporting the brothers is more important to me than the Steam and DRM problems... Plus many games now require Steam to be installed, even after you bought the box... This is an old fan's point of view though

Many thanks for the info!
For now I'll pick up Crashlands on mobile and hope for a later release on GOG.

I feel the same way regarding Steam supremacy. At least Crashlands doesn't appear to use Steamworks but instead uses its own BSID system. That at least gives me hope that it may later be released elsewhere :)

Alas, the BSID may be the thing that could prevent a launch on GoG, maybe.

And you're welcome! :)

@endjynn Thanks for the question!

While we may release a non-Steam version of the game eventually, it definitely won't be any time soon. We totally understand why people want it, and in an ideal world we would just provide it. But there are three big things that make it bad for us:

1. It adds one more distributor that we have to maintain. Every time we update Crashlands, we have to build 4 versions and upload them to three different stores, each with its own rules and requirements. It's a LOT of work.

2. We actually don't care which distributors have our games (i.e. we have nothing against GOG), we just go where the players are. And Steam is where the vast majority of players are. If Crashlands is really successful, then it can even be worth distributing it on smaller platforms, but we won't know that until after launch.

3. We avoid using multiple distributors for the same markets. For example, we don't have our games on both Amazon and Google Play, because nearly every Android user can use both. Same deal with GOG and Steam. When we break up our sales over multiple platforms, our games end up competing with themselves because the way that all stores rank popularity is by number of sales.

4. Steam's DRM has a real benefit for us. I know that DRM is a bad word for a lot of people (it used to be for me, too), but when it is used reasonably it's actually a good thing. We know that Crashlands is going to be pirated like crazy, and we know we can't stop it. But pirates would also be able to use BscotchID, which is costly for us because we have to pay for the servers and bandwidth. For a single paying player it's super cheap, but when there are 30 pirates for every paying player it becomes a serious problem. Steam's DRM serves as a way for us to verify that players actually own the game before we let them use our costly BscotchID services. GOG has nothing like that, meaning we'd have to find a new way to verify game ownership.

But yeah, we totally get it. It can be annoying to have to run your games through Steam, and you may dislike their near-monopoly on the market. But the fact is that Steam is fair and useful to players (their DRM also serves to prevent cheating and hacking in multiplayer games), and without it we would absolutely not be able to be successful in the PC market.

As for @Ulnarevern's comment, I don't think that BscotchID would count as DRM in its current state, since it doesn't affect access to the game (just certain parts that make sense to require login). By using it we have definitely made it so that our games are technically portable (all we'd have to do is build a non-Steam version), if we ever decide to.

Nice!

Also, you have another protection implemented on Steam other than Steam DRM right? Because pirate versions of Steam games tend to be out really fast.

Yeah those 3DM guys are really fast.

Yeah, but my understanding is they basically strip Steam out of it, or make it thik it's on Steam. Either way, we're doing an in-game check that talks to Steam to request user credentials, and success of that request is required to give access to cloud saving. I have no doubt that there is a way around that, I'm just hoping that it isn't part of the generic Steam piracy process.

Worse case scenario we change the verification to require pasting in a license, like we're doing on Android.

Goddamn pirates. Making life more difficult for everyone!

Well, as long as it's outside of Steam DRM that should do it.
A verification is required though, just in case.

Return to Crashlands General Discussion