[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Butterscotch Shenanigans Forums • View topic - Pet lost somewhere in map

Pet lost somewhere in map

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
Actually in the Beta a lot of people had problems with it because they'd hoover up their pet and then forget it was in their inventory. XD

I've got the same problem too. My 7-year old son, who absolutely loves the game, stuck his Glazer pet somewhere in the Tundra and didn't leave a sign. Perhaps one solution would be to create a tool which summons pets to your inventory. You could even put a quest on it - it would be useful for hopping between the different stages.

The flaw is that I don't think it was expected for this to be a problem. While I can see how silly it was not to be thought over or mentioned by anyone in beta. I suppose it was thought that people would just keep their pets in one set location and not move them. The flaw with having them pop up on the map is that those who keep their pets at their house would be bothered with having that clutter on the screen. There really is no fix to this as this is just human error. Possibly requiring a minimum of 3x3 tiles to be around the nest to place it or something of the sorts could stop randomly placing and forgetting from happening? I am just not sure how difficult it would be to implement :/

Wow, never thought about it before, but it is quite terrifying. I either leave them at the home telepad or in the inventory and swap on a floor. Since I take the floor back, I never forgot a nest behind...

So many things require them... Perhaps some furniture-like device that toggles on/off markers of the pets on the map would suffice? Or a hot/cold detector gadget/trinket? Or a pet-specific retriever (Wompit Scotteh)?

As said it's more or less the fact it not being thought about. When the game was put into beta our goal was to test through it as well as see what needed to be fixed/improved upon. What wasn't realized was how biased the beta community would be. Nearly all of the beta testers were gamers and older than 18+.. With that most of them knew how to do things. Which is why we were caught off guard with all the questions when the game first game out. No one ever thought to just put down a pet somewhere random. It just wasn't a thought because no game or anyone would just do that. The younger players and/or non-gamers were not taken into account as much with situations like these. In the bros defense though, I don't think it was expected to have this drastic of a demographic difference than what already existed.

There was going to be some with it being a huge game and the PR, but I feel as if it was missed that a lot of younger players would do silly things. It's hard to account for human error in a game as there is so much of it. So to change a mechanic that big would really require time, and so far it's only happened once. While it sucks it was a human error and not something that we can easily fix. With that being said though adding something like being able to get multiple pets not via a glitch could be a solution to this..

That's perhaps the easiest gameplay-wise. I mean, fix the quest stuck problem. But the fact that the pet is lost somewhere... Well, that's another story. Perhaps too costly to find a solution now.

A little off-topic anecdote...

As for your anecdote Nirnaeth, even the systems designed to be failproof (Space-stuff and nuclear wise) tend to fail, and because of human errors. They crashed at least one rocket by blindly copy-pasting code some time ago (like 20 or 30 years). The system by itself can be "failproof" but humans aren't and they will always find a way to break it.

Also, Jpesky has a point - beta-testers were gamers while Crashlands gathered a bit of everyone, hence some things that we could not even imagine. :/

Another solution would be to add a few lines to the deborkifier to send all the pet that are further away than - let's say - 2 tiles of the home teleporter back into the inventory.

Actually that last line is a great idea. The question is though can we set it so that it needs to check if it's been interacted with as of late. The flaw with sending them back regardless would cause some problems for people who have their homebase over at x and their "stables" a few more tiles away than the maximum number.

Well tiles are rather big so in most cases it shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe a line that checks the distance between two stables?
If I recall correctly, the original poster put them a bit everywhere, so that may actually work.

Ohh, tiles on the map not literal floor blocks..

PreviousNext

Return to Crashlands General Discussion