Curious about Whizbox

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
In the Tundra, I ran into a watery-golden floored dining room area, with a little green character in it. When I slapped it, I got a "Whizbox (1)" although it didn't appear in any accessible part of my inventory.

Neat little easter egg. Is this a reference to some other game?

I have no idea what that is... one of the other bros will have to weigh in.

In an earlier version of teh game, JuiceBox was a robot called "Whizbox", and upon crashlanding was damaged and became "Spazzbox" instead (spellings may be wrong). It wasn't until our first major pass on the story that he became JuiceBox, which at that time was because his purpose was in highly sensitive Juice detection. Later the Juice part of the story went away, Flux became an employee of the Bureau of Shipping, and JuiceBox's name again lost an explicit connection to the story.

Nifty! Thanks for the background, bscotchAdam.

Oh! Tie in to Roid Rage there @bscotchAdam? That... explains a lot actually. LOL.

Ohh, the Duskwatcher base has a Whizbox too, but you have to be very careful to get it before you approach him.

Not looking for clues, but is there something more to the Whizboxes, gamewise? I'm ready to dig, but I'm hesitant to hunt a phantom.

(Is self-replying OK for the bump effect on an old post? Sorry, mods; I don't mean to complicate your lives.)
Last edited by roxton on 25 Feb 2016 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

If it's >48h then it's fine.

So I didn't realize it before, but I got a Whizbox from the Duskwatcher's Lake in the Bawg. It seems to be a component of some kind since it doesn't show up in inventory anywhere, but when I found what you're talking about in the Tundra, I got the message "Whizbox (2)" since it was the second one I found. Sadly, in my Insane save I killed all the baddies in the lake before I could slap the Whizbox container thing and "The Duskwatcher" took it all away so it looks like there's no way to get it in that save (and probably in your save as well, if you've already visited the Duskwatcher).

Now I'm curious about Whizboxes too -- they're like the [redacted] except so far I've only ever seen the two of them, and they aren't considered furniture so there's no way to see that you have them except when you pick one up for the first time.

I'm with @roxton - Whazzup with Whizbox?!

I mean, I don't know but maybe Seth left it in as a reference to the first rendition of Juicebox. They do end up referencing Hewgo's original name at some point in the story so it makes sense. On the flip side and probably more likely this is just a bug/glitch that no one caught until now.

This is one reason I don't love the [redacted] "joke" - because I don't know whether to take you at face value here Jordan.

At any rate, it sure looks intentional to me:

When you slap the incubator thing, the whizbox pops out and gets collected as a component. But to what end?

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion