Crashlands real value for mobile only BScotch fans

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
There's this small idea I had on my journey to get the Perks. Crashlands is a long drawn project, with huge content (110 hours for me, more to come). The devs consider it fair to be priced as $20, which could happen if everybody got one copy on Steam ($15) and another on a mobile market ($5). Do remember that 30% will go to both stores.

I know most of the users in the forums are already fans, and are probably doing the same as I am, or were here much before Crashlands, so this suggestion may sound somewhat useless. But perhaps it could be the way to recommend to people who actually value the price of games and want to pay a fair price.

It's nothing new per se, just a change of perspective: Crashlands, for mobile only players, is sold at $18. You get the game (with all hidden sidequests), and, for free(!), have a premium experience on all BScotch games. Games that are really fun, and are even more fun after Buttering Up. So it is:

- $5 for Crashlands
- $5 for Quadropus Rampage ($3 Butter Up + $2 orb doubler)
- $3 for Towelfight 2 (Butter Up)
- $3 for Flop Rocket (Butter Up)
- $2 for Roid Rampage (Butter Up)

$5 bucks is so insanely cheap for Crashlands that this perspective gave me some comfort. When I considered each game separately, I was measuring what was I gaining and if I had to pay right now. After this thought, I buttered up all what was missing from my catalogue at once, without measuring anything. I just had to, and it feels good.

I hope I can help somebody else with this. I come from a place where everybody always wants to have some advantage on every trade. I fight this urge everyday, and with this, I think I might have just won today.

This is quite a good post and as a fan I can agree, but playing devil's advocate this is where a brick wall is hit. Crashlands perks aren't for everyone I have had many people just say "Screw it" because things are too hard even after the butter up (that's assuming they even butter up!). There is also the wall that many of the players who have joined in the past month or so have been Crashlands related now while say 35% of them have transitioned into fans and decided to play the other bscotch games that leaves 65% of people who are only interested in crashlands. Looking back to that 35% we need to take into account those who are willing to butter up in the other games so let's just knock off another 15% assuming that in that 35% are people who don't wish to pay or kids who can't. That leaves us with 10% of players willing to butter up in every other game. Now I'm not saying it's a rarity it happens a lot, but we are still faced with the fact that there are many people who dismiss this idea. We also face those people who want everything for free and thing iAP's are the work of the devil himself. While I agree it's worth it, it just sucks that everyone can't share this same perspective.

Yeah, I didn't know the exact numbers, but I figured as much. I'll be very, very happy if one, a couple, or maybe a dozen people will give it a thought, and if they are in doubt, thinking if they need the extra features, no ads, coins doublers and such, they end up realising that the game they came here for is worth more money, and that it comes with those nice extras (not belittling them, just saying this because they are far in the long tail of sales, so basically almost no revenue is expected for them).

Thanks for the awesome words, Nirnaeth!

See, I am stuck trying to figure out if people butter up to support the devs or to make the game easier. While both happen I want to know which one is the main cause.. Hmm..

@Mr.Jpesky That's precisely the issue I was having. You see, when fairness is considered, I can't give more money than they ask for, unless they are actively asking for donations, no matter how dire their situation may be. It might be, at worst, insulting, and, at best, misleading. A quick example would be the unlock-all from Quadropus. Say a good number of fans pay it to support the devs only, as it is actually detrimental to the experience. If this isn't voiced to the devs directly, when looking at the numbers, they might think there's a problem in the design of the game itself, since many people are paying not to play it. Butter ups are made almost specifically for this purpose, so it's not an issue.

Then there were two problems to consider:

- For Crashlands, I paid $5, they wanted $20, I think it's worth so, but there's no way to give the remaining $15 to them via Crashlands on one mobile platform only. Like, a $15 gold skin for Juicebox solely for this purpose, for example. But IAP in a premium game would have a backlash, no matter how useless it is, so it was wise not to have so. I am still considering give it as a gift to close people, but I am actively trying to convince them to buy themselves first.

- For the others games, I didn't know if the Butter Ups were worth it, gameplay-wise. In retrospect, the only game which got easier, but not necessarily better, was Towelfight 2. Not having ads do improve the experience a lot, but the game otherwise doesn't gate content or balanced the coin earning to be too grindy. Quadropus and Flop Rocket coin doubling makes the game better, since the balance somehow changes with it (on the former, purchasing skins and doubloons become possible, and the latter, the extra coin go to the unlocked upgrades).

So basically, this change of perspective solved the two problems: I can give them the money they deserve for Crashlands on places they expect to receive them, without thinking whether or not those changes on the other games are worth it. What I also can say in retrospect is that they were worth it, since they all heightened the experience on their games, without breaking them or making them less fun.

I guess I just overthink stuff too much.

Or you think about things... EXACTLY THE RIGHT AMOUNT!

I'm with Seth and I imagine these are the things the bros need to think over every time they make a game. Going though how they can release something that will be fun and awesome, but will also allow them to make money so they can keep doing what they love.

I have limited phone space. I like QR but not the othet ones. Bought QR liked it but outta space & time, will play later. Currently finishing other games & 1/3 done crashlands on slow method by choice (luv it). My phone is always short on space. I would like a mechanism to butter up outside of games. Do it like how you buy a pro license addon for Moon+ reader or other apps at google store.

We'd love to have that kind of thing too! We can't do that outside of the store ecosystems unless we create our own store (we can't sell things in one store and make them available in another). It's something that we'll look into once we get big enough to have some true independence.

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion