Colorblind Modes -- How we created them

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
EYYYY, GANG! I stumbled across these screenshots and thought you all might find this interesting.

In order to create the colorblind modes in Crashlands, we had to simulate colorblindness within the game. This would allow us to see what things within the game were hard to visually parse for someone with colorblindness. Our focus was mostly on the color of combat telegraphs against different backgrounds. Here are two screenshots of the game with two different colorblindness filters applied to it:

After playing the game like this for a while, it became really apparent that this is something we need to be aware of in the future, because it can really negatively affect the game for those who have this issue.

ANYWAYS... I thought you guys might find this intriguing. OK BYE.

It is indeed intriguing, and something we do not talk enough in gaming apparently!

It sure is intriguing! Have you thought of doing a talk about it on the STL IGDA?

Woah that really hurt my eyes.

The most interesting revelation for me was that if you can't distinguish between, say, blue and red, then you also have the inability to see white (as an RGB-vision person can see it), since white is an amalgam of all color channels. White becomes green, or yellow, or something.

Damn. Never thought of that :|

I have a red-green weekness, which does not mean that i cannot see those colours and i dont know the correct name for it.

Red has just no "signal" effect on me - blue ist much more a signal for me.
Red ist just like a darker brown tone.

Also, it is quite hard to read red, green or yellow characters.

In the game, i selected "Protanopia", which seems to replace red by blue - which is good for me.

That's actually really cool to see, @bscotchseth - I always wondered what it was like to be color blind. I kinda just assumed that the brain would adapt and just be taught the color red was the color red; how it looks to you right now is what you'd learn it was.

Didn't take into account that without part of your eye receptors working you would have trouble with white, or telling certain colors. Most people seem to pass off "red-green" colorblindness as the colors being swapped; you'd see red AS green and visa versa, rather than the fact the colors are warped because of the physical changes to the eye.

Thanks for sharing, Seth. I'm sure playing probably warped your mind a little, but the fact that a lot more people can play it easily is awesome.

To be honest, after playing like that for 30 minutes, I didn't really feel that weird about it -- my brain got used to it. But then when I swapped it back to full-color mode, it was INSANE how colorful the world looked all of a sudden.

@bscotchseth never stopped to think about that as well! Even though I glimpsed a bit on Goethe's reasoning on the subtraction of colors and the dark beam through a prism, it never dawned to me that any distortion on an additive system may change the perception of "whiteness". I wonder how different the white on screens is from paper white? And if it's like this for white only, how confusing must it be with RGB and CMYK actually combining much differently?

Or maybe I'm overlooking something much more fundamental? Perhaps the systems coincide and are consistent with one another.

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion