Some feedback (gear quality, npc's, and more)

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
First off, great game on android! Was a big fan of Dont Starve and it reminds me of that but with your own unique flavor.

Anyways, some suggestions:
1) Gear quality: im about 9 hours into the game and one thing thats a little pain is that theres only 1 method to getting better gear quality for a single item and that is by wasting resources in crafting an item over and over until you get that Legendary quality. My suggestion, create a new line of material (like gems) that can improve the quality of an item and maybe even guarantee a specific type of stat. That or do an XP system with gear that levels up when enemies are killed. All-in-all, just need another alternative aside from recrafting.

2) An automated farming NPC: would be awesome to be able to create an npc that auto farms in a location for you and you just need to talk to them to collect all those farmed resources. There could be upgradable versions to this npc that: increase farming range (how far they will leave their nest), the amount of material they can store, and the level of items they can farm.

3) Expand on hotbar: an item that can allow us to have 5 or even 6 usable items on the hotbar. I find myself having to constantly switch from a bomb used for farming stuff with weapons or potions. Or make a separate hotbar slot thats exclusive to healing items and leave 4 spots to whatever else. OR maybe allow the ability to create a second hotbar, so when we are out of battle, we can quickly switch to it in the inventory menu or whatever it's called when you click on Flux in the corner.

4) more diverse weapons early on per crafting station: a wooden spear with slightly extended range but slower attack speed and slower move speed, bow and arrow, etc etc. Pretty much create a little more diversity in weapon choices for differing playstyles. Not a whole lot of diversity in main weapons. You could have craftable arrows for your bows, crossbows, etc, and equip these in the inventory slots as ammo.

Anyways, keep up the hard work. Love the game.
Last edited by BJgobbleDix on 30 Apr 2016 01:43, edited 2 times in total.

I feel like number 1 and 2 came straight out of a pay to win game..

Mr. Jpesky
Not sure how you got that. 1 comes in certain variants in many rpgs as a way to curb excessive grinding and wasting of materials and guarantees a certain rarity of an item. Granted, you still put the work in but theres no rng involved.
2 is traditional to any RTS game in reality that deals with farming resources for building bases or crafting. Somewhat automating certain tasks is great for allowing more time to do other things such as building, expanding, or crafting. So i guess it just depends what games you have played thus creating differing perceptions. It would only become p2w if the devs decide to implement that business model.

So.

1) You don't have to upgrade every time you unlock a new tier. Actually with some skill/laziness you can skip half or even 2/3rd of the armor stuff, maybe less for the weapon.
Farming for Legendary has no use since you'll upgrade your stuff soon enough. Green or blue is usually enough for the whole game. Dig the unique stuff and the Gong parts if you can.
Also there were already suggestions to upgrade stuff BUT it was discarded because it would totally break game balance and the fun (suggestion I remember was to add the ability to combine two same-tier equipment to make a better piece)

Remember: you paid for a complete game, so the thing is already balanced without needing to go for the best stuff all the time. Which is different from most of the other (usually F2P or P2W) games ;)
The habit of farming and grinding in F2P/P2W games is hard to lose, but you don't need that here :)

2) You'll have to play some more but the QoL patch added some neat stuff.

3) That's a Frequently Asked Feature. PROBLEM IS that it has to fit on any screen. And I can guarantee you, a 3.5" screen is kinda filled by all the UI stuff ^^
It also adds some challenge since you have to fill your hotbar carefully :)

4) There are only two main types of weapons: swords (fast) and hammers (slower but stun effect). So while this may seem like a limited range of options, you also have a bunch of gadgets and trinkets to choose from, plus some choice with pets, and this is exactly where you can build your own play style! :)

Last note: that game was not built to take you by the hand, but it's not made to be hard either.
Basically, if you just cut and kill everything you meet and can beat, you'll (almost) never lack materials, and if you just build one or two of each armor and weapon tiers, you won't lose time and you should have more than correct stuff (but on Adventure, you can skip half of the tiers)! :)

Sorry if I offended you, but what I put follows Ulna's last note. I feel like those things are found in games that don't give the player full control. Having the random element to weapons makes it more about getting those difficult resources and hoping to Maarla you get something good. Personally when I read the first two my head went to something that was CoC like. With an iAP system of gems to help "boost" your items to the next tier for 99¢ or even something like "HEY KID, SICK OF SLAPPING ALL THOSE PLANTS? WISH SOMEONE COULD DO IT FOR YOU? WELL DON'T WE ALL! BUT YOU YES YOU CAN HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR A PAYMENT OF $2.99 YOU CAN GET 1 AUTO SLAP MCSLAPPER TO SLAP ALL THE PLANTS ON SCREEN!..." They just feel cheap if you get what I'm saying... I feel like they are those ease of access things that are used for those who don't want to put forth the time/effort to get them by hand.

Lol, I could see that. I can't stand how so many games are going away from the traditional business model of "1 price, 1 full game." Now, everything is broken up and sold in pieces through these microtransactions.

As for number 1, I can see that one being a bit difficult to implement. The reason I bring up the quality of gear though is because I wasted I think it was 4 or 5 attempts at trying to get a legendary Flatstone Hammer and all I got was common for all the attempts then 1 "Green" (I guess Uncommon?) hammer and thats a good chunk of resources being burnt trying to improve a weapon early on. Now luckily the progression in this game is fairly quick but something to improve this could be nice to implement. Maybe certain weapons had a built in XP that after a certain amount of killed enemies, you could have the chance to upgrade it using certain materials. In this situation, you still have to put in tons of work to get the improved version and I think this could be incredibly fair yet satisfying if done well. Do you take the chance at wasting resources to get better weapons immediately or do you want to take the single weapon and grind it out with a guaranteed route of success? Either way, you are grinding in the work. There just happens to be 2 paths to do it this time. And the only reason I would still like to do this even though these weapons would be useless is I enjoy maximizing endgame progression as much as possible on pretty much everything lol.

Going back to number 2 with the auto farming npc. After further thought with this, it really is just the farming of flowers that really bugs me. I have about 40-50 pots of flowers to farm for mainly potions and it's become very tedious to click each one to farm. If there was a way that maybe allowed 'click one, get all' type of mechanic, that would greatly help. I would also add that seeds for plants need improved drop rates at the endgame in Savanna. Don't know how to do this one. Maybe a trinket that improves drop rates of plants? And I guess this comes from me playing Don't Starve but in that game, I remember you almost always had 1 pine cone that dropped from each tree so it was just a perfect circulation of farming trees at your base.

Another thing I thought of that would be a nice addition is a menu that showed us our entire inventory. Maybe there is one but I haven't found it. I always am forced to go back to my base, find an item I'm trying to craft and begin "tracking" it because I usually forget to. Which is the other thing, have a menu in our little 'book' icon (maybe next to data) that shows all available crafting recipes and their materials so we don't have to always go back to base to see what we need.
Last edited by BJgobbleDix on 26 Apr 2016 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

As of #2 there is automated pot slapper released in QOL patch. It was even in the trailer so. As of the second part, they cut it down on purpose, they don't want people while farming to go ALT+TAB and do something else. It encourages the exploration.

They talked about it countless of times, it would take too much man power to list all your stuff.

I'm on an Android phone so I haven't seen this auto pot slapper thing yet. Might not have been released for phones quite yet?

It's up on Android because cross platform saves. Trailer

ok cool. It's just obtained later in the game. Thanks for the trailer :)

Next

Return to Crashlands General Discussion